I WILL DONATE TODAY! PLEASE REVIEW MY QUESTION! IM BUGGING OUT!

Hello, this is a little long winded but I need some help here. I have been all over the web and have not found a unique story such as mine.

I'm a heterosexual male that was tested in 1992 for HIV at a clinic in the Bronx NY. I did this because Magic Johnson had released his status to the world and it freaked me out. I slept with over 100 women and rarely used protection. I never used drugs or have slept with anyone that has and have never had anal sex with a female.

So in 92 my test came back negative and since then I had a 3 long term relationships. One was on and off for 11 years (never used protection). She was tested years ago and was negative, the current is my wife who was tested 3.5 years ago when she was pregnant with my son (never used protection). She was negative as well. The relationship I think about is the one in between and the 2 encounters below. I had 1.5 year relationship with a college girl from Brazil. Non drug user and only had two sexual partners before me. (so she said)

I did have one video booth experience where a guy tried to suck my penis. He stuck his mouth on it for 1 second and I pulled away and said that this is not something I will engage in and then left.

I also had intercourse with a prostitute with a condom but never came and that was in 2000. The condom did not fail and was put on properly.

With all this information. My relationship with the Brazilian girl was 11 years ago and from what I understand the other two incidents are very low risk. If i did have something, after 11 years wouldn't I know about it and what about the other two items of concern?

I'm testing to get a life insurance policy so this is how it all came about, otherwise I never even thought about it at all. My test will come back on Thursday but I'm having a really difficult time coping. I have extreme anxiety and I'm filled with fear thinking the worst.

Am I over-reacting or should I be scared? I'm glad this website exists and the Doc is so kind to share is time answering these questions. I'm going to be an ongoing financial supporter as my eyes have been truly opened to this crisis. Thank you, -H

-H

You got tested in 1992, because Magic Johnson revealed his status and it freaked you out???? Hmmm . . . . Did you have sex with Magic? Oh never mind. I don't want to start any rumors.

So your basic concern is that you have to get HIV tested for a life insurance policy and you're worried about what you did with a Brazilian girl 11 years ago? I can't tell if you're freaked out about possibly not qualifying for the life insurance policy or the possibility you might HIV! After all, if you were so concerned about HIV, why would you wait 11 years to determine if you've contracted the virus?

Are you overreacting? Yes, of course you are. Your video-booth experience and episode of protected sex with a hooker are essentially nonexistent risks (assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not fail). That leaves the on-and-off 11-year relationship with your Brazilian, which apparently took place 11 years ago (?). And she apparently tested negative somewhere along the way. So I believe your question boils down to whether HIV would be evident if you contracted it 11 years ago. Right? If that is the question, the answer is possibly. Following primary infection and acute retroviral syndrome, HIV disease can enter into an asymptomatic chronic phase, which persists on average for eight years. Could 11 years go by and someone still be asymptomatic? Yes, it's possible, but not all that probable. Of course, this hypothetical natural history timeline is not what you or anyone else should be basing their health or hopes on! The simple reality is that if you've placed yourself at risk for HIV, you need to be HIV tested whether or not you have symptoms. There really is no other way to determine if you've contracted the virus. A simple HIV test three months or longer after your last potential exposure is all you need. A rapid HIV test will give you the definitive answer you are searching for and, most likely, unnecessarily worrying about!

Thanks for your willingness to make a tax-deductible donation to help those living with the challenges of being HIV positive (www.concertedeffort.org).

Good luck. Be well.

HOW CAN I TELL MY MUM?
Dubya's Abstinence Only Policy