Scared to death!

Dear Doctor!

Sorry if my English is bad.:( I live in Hungary. Fortunatelly the probability here that someone is HIV infected is low. The population is 10.000.000 approximately and there are only 1400 people being tested for HIV and being positive. But people think that there may be 4000 people who are infected but dont know they are infected.

This year jan.05. i had unprotected vaginal sex with a girl. It was a big mistake, i would never do it again! The episode lasted about 30 minutes. After this i realized that this may be a big mistake. After jan.05. i lived my life in fear. In jan.28. i nerved myself and asked the girl to come with me, because i would like her to do a HIV test. She was surprised because heree in Hungary it is very rare for people to get tested. (Most of the people i asked about there sexual behaviours after my unprotected sex didnt even use protection when having sex:( ) She had a rapid test that came back negative in jan.28. The doctor told me the window period is 6 weeks and asked my girlfriend if she had sex in the previous 6 weeks with anyone else but me, but she told she didnt. (She only had sex with her past boyfriend 7 weeks ago, but that boy had only one girlfriend in the past years) Than 6 weeks after my "incident" i also took a rapid test (Abbott determine) and it also came back negative.

This would be good news, but since than i have many many sypmtoms. jan. 19. :2 weeks after the unprotected sex i had feverish feelings for 7 days. Than that went away for a week. feb. 12.-16. i had a severe illness including diarrhea) febr.18. I had the negative test. Bust since the negative test i still feel nauseaous, i have fatigue all over my body. The fear is killing me.

Please please doctor answer my question. I think it is rare for people to post a question in your forum from Hungary and this is a reason itself, for you to answer.. I HOPE you will...

Please calculate my odds. We know that Hungary is a low prev. country in HIV, my girlfriend agreed to test and tested negative, i also tested negative..She is a very kind girl. We had only one episode of unprotected vaginal sex, since than i always use protection. But what if we both were in the window period? What if we both had false negatives? What are my symptoms related to? Is the fluctuating illness an evidence againts ARS? (One week i feel better, than i feel worse)

Please answer me. I know that the odds are with me, i know you had many similar questions, but please answer, because you know each person feels that his or her problem, fear is custom-made.

I will donate.. Yours faithfully

Andras from Hungary

Hi Andras from Hungary,

Actually, I've received a fair number of questions from Hungary. And if sexually active folks, like your buddies and recent hook-up, don't begin to use condoms, I'll certainly be getting a lot more questions, as HIV becomes more prominent there! Do your friends a favor and tell them to cover their stump before they hump!

Your HIV risk is a single episode of unprotected insertive vaginal sex. Overall your risk is low. The published estimated per-act risk of acquiring HIV from unprotected insertive penile-vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 5 per 10,000 exposures. Your estimated risk would be significantly less, as your partner tested HIV negative several weeks after your roll in the hay. Hence, the only risk would be if she were still in her "window period." That makes your risk all the more remote essentially negligible, statistically speaking.

Your symptoms nausea and fatigue are not suggestive of or worrisome for HIV. They are most likely due to anxiety. ("The fear is killing me.")

What are the odds you and your partner both had false-positive tests? Nonexistent!

Thanks for your donation (www.concertedeffort.org). Andras, stop worrying! All is well.

your arm around my neck on my back
TO THE CLUELESS RUDE "YOU DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER DUDE"