Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

accuracy of repeated rapid HIV test
Mar 24, 2007

My ex-boyfriend and I were each tested for HIV recently with the rapid tests. I was tested with the rapid whole blood sample test and received a negative test result. He was tested with the oral sample rapid test and received a preliminary-positive test result. Another sample was taken from him to be sent to a lab to confirm the reactive test. He immediately went to another clinic where he was tested with a rapid whole blood sample test and received a negative result. Should he be worried that he could receive a confirmatory positive result when his sample is tested at the lab? Or does the second rapid test confirm that the first result must have been a false-positive? Also, can I be assured that I am definitely HIV-negative after my negative test result? It has been almost five months since I have had any sexual contact with the above-mentioned ex. It is also important to mention that neither of us had any sexual contact with anyone else during our five-year relationship, or since the break-up.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Should he be worried? No. All indications are that his confirmatory test will conclusively prove that his initial test was indeed a "false positive."

Can you be confident that your negative is a true negative? Absolutely!

Dr. Bob

Previous
AAAGGGHHHH!!!!
Next
dear san francisco, you are promoted from dr to saint..

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.