Send some doctors to the Caribbean (Trinidad)

Is it possible for you to send some doctors to the Caribbean. Quoting a recent local newspaper report from Trinidad, there is a shortage of doctors who are willing to treat with HIV patients. According to the report this is due to the fact that it is a non-profit calling for them. This is indeed a sad statement to be made in light of the spread of the HIV virus in this and other Caribbean countries. There exist one (1) ward with 5 beds for HIV patients in the southern part of the island. This is indeed unacceptable. Could you please send some of your HIV experts here A.S.A.P before we run out of our most valuable asset - our human resources.

Count your blessings America that you have a fairly good health care system. Thanks to doctors like Dr. Bob and his team who have taken the bull by the horns.

Thank you for your post. Unfortunately, I cannot just send a group of HIV specialists to Trinidad! I wish I could! Actually, I know a number of HIV specialists who would enjoy a trip to the Caribbean about now! However, that's not how it works and all of the HIV specialists that I know personally seem to be extremely busy just trying to keep up with the demand for care here and in Europe. We certainly need to train more HIV specialists quickly, considering 90% of the world's HIV-positive population have not even been tested! I absolutely agree with you that the vast amount of HIV-related resources (money, medications, health care providers, etc.) is focused on the developed world, which has only a small percentage of the world's HIVers. This is a travesty of the highest order. My foundation, The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation, and many like it are working diligently and cooperatively to try to rectify that situation. At present, the only active program we are involved with in the Caribbean involves supplying HIV medications through carefully selected programs. If there are specific HIV/AIDS programs in Trinidad that are devoted to either crucial patient services or HIV/AIDS awareness and prevention that need financial assistance, they can apply to the Foundation for a grant. Please pass this information on to your local AIDS service organizations. If their application is successful, perhaps it will eventually help your health care provider and access problems.

Good luck! I wish I could do more!

help!I'm hiv infect?
5 questions, 5 minutes of your time. Living in fear.