help!I'm hiv infect?

hi dr Bob, I read you many times. You're a great person. I've read many answer, but I need yr personal help. I'm Antoine from France, I'm 21 years old and I'm very scared. 4 month ago I made the worst mistake of my life,because I'm stupid. I had sex with 2 women workers in a sauna in Paris(two different situations). I've protect my vaginal sex with the condom in both situations,from beginning to end. No oral sex or other, only vaginal sex protected. The condom did not break (as far as I am aware). I was sure that the infection from hiv was impossible, but after 2 months I've manifest many symptoms of HIV. Low Fever for 6 days,3 lymph node on the neck,fatigue,headache. So my medic diagnosed me a sinusitis and told me to taken for 3 days:amoxxicillin(2 at day),3 dose at day of oral granular formulation of ketoprofen and lysine salt,tobramycin for a sty(I've use cream and collyrium many times, more than how much advising). Another medic told me that this medic give me too medicin. So after few days I've check my blood analysis and my GOT and GPT were elevated,my spleen was enalarged(splenomegaly), my white blood cell was elevated. No problem at the liver,negative to:CMV-HBV-HCV-mononucleosis. Only present the EBV virus Igg(not Igm). I've repeat the analysis after one month and the GOT and GTP are normal and my spleen is come normal,but I'm scared that the immune disorder was caused from Hiv infection. I cry every day, I think that I'm HIV+, because the symptoms that I've had, are all correlate with the infections because Ive read that the symptoms are similar at a mononucleosis(but this its negative!) I hope that the spleen enalarged and the GOT/GPT elevate were caused from excess of medicins or from a reactivation of EBV virus(but was positive only the Igg, and not the Igm). It's possible? What do you think? I've made safe sex, why I've the hiv symptom? I hope that the two women don't have used lambskin..but the sex it's their work..I hope that they know about the quality of condom. I'm very very very scared.

Thanks doctor, Antoine(a stupid guy).

Bonjour Antoine,

Pourquoi tu m'écris en anglais en lieu de la langue de Camus, Sartre et Molière?

Just in case you are living in France but not actually a francophone, I'll respond in English.

Stop crying! I see no cause for all your worry and concern about HIV!

First, your risk is essentially nonexistent, assuming the latex condoms were used properly and did not fail. (I agree the vast majority of sex workers are well versed in STD/HIV prevention. After all, it's their business!)

Next, your symptoms: sinusitis could certainly explain your initial problems. The subsequent transient elevation in your liver function tests and size of your spleen could have been related to any of a number of factors. The important thing is that these symptoms were transient and resolved quickly. They are not HIV related. I also doubt they were caused by EBV, as your IgG antibody response indicates an old infection. (An IgM response would signal a more recent EBV infection.)

If you remain worried about HIV, why not just get an HIV rapid test? You'd have a definitive result in just 20 minutes. Being "very, very, very scared" and "crying everyday" is not a good alternative or the answer to your problem! Your HIV risk is negligible at best. Your symptoms are not suggestive of HIV. So what are you waiting for? Dry your tears. Get tested and start practicing your WOO-HOO! In French that would be YOUPIE!

Bonne chance!

Former Republican
Send some doctors to the Caribbean (Trinidad)