Former Republican

Dear Dr. Bob, As a former republican, your website has changed me. I thought I was informed and compassionate. But after reading your story and everything you do, I found out I was much more ignorant and uncaring than I ever cared to admit. Even though I am a social worker and formally educated there was so much I didn't know. And now for my question. Have you ever read Gene Antonio's "The AIDS Cover-up?" And what do you think of it?

Hi Former Republican!

Welcome! I'm delighted to have enlightened another former Republican. (Wow, if I flip just three more, I'll win the toaster over!)

Gene Antonio's "The AIDS Cover-UP???" Oh yes, I know that piece of literary rubbish quite well. It's now rather archaic, having been published in 1986 or thereabouts. What do I think about it? Well, it's a product of the Religious Right at its most hateful. Antonio is a former minister and the book is published by the Catholic Ignatius Press. And we all know how scientific and unbiased the Vatican is when it comes to topics like sex, gays and HIV/AIDS! The book is a routine selection on all "conservative book club" lists. Basically, it's a stridently anti-gay diatribe portraying gay people as agents of human destruction. Amazingly, Antonio even peddles an absurd comparison between HIV and a completely unrelated lentivirus in sheep that can be transmitted through coughing. Mr. Antonio's purpose is clear: to spread fear via science fiction (emphasis on fiction) and, in a thinly veiled effort, to promote hate and intolerance of gays. I'm sure there is a special place in Hell reserved for folks like Mr. Antonio.

wish i had ur arm around my neck as i tell u this
help!I'm hiv infect?