Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Former Republican
Mar 19, 2007

Dear Dr. Bob, As a former republican, your website has changed me. I thought I was informed and compassionate. But after reading your story and everything you do, I found out I was much more ignorant and uncaring than I ever cared to admit. Even though I am a social worker and formally educated there was so much I didn't know. And now for my question. Have you ever read Gene Antonio's "The AIDS Cover-up?" And what do you think of it?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Former Republican!

Welcome! I'm delighted to have enlightened another former Republican. (Wow, if I flip just three more, I'll win the toaster over!)

Gene Antonio's "The AIDS Cover-UP???" Oh yes, I know that piece of literary rubbish quite well. It's now rather archaic, having been published in 1986 or thereabouts. What do I think about it? Well, it's a product of the Religious Right at its most hateful. Antonio is a former minister and the book is published by the Catholic Ignatius Press. And we all know how scientific and unbiased the Vatican is when it comes to topics like sex, gays and HIV/AIDS! The book is a routine selection on all "conservative book club" lists. Basically, it's a stridently anti-gay diatribe portraying gay people as agents of human destruction. Amazingly, Antonio even peddles an absurd comparison between HIV and a completely unrelated lentivirus in sheep that can be transmitted through coughing. Mr. Antonio's purpose is clear: to spread fear via science fiction (emphasis on fiction) and, in a thinly veiled effort, to promote hate and intolerance of gays. I'm sure there is a special place in Hell reserved for folks like Mr. Antonio.

Dr. Bob

Previous
wish i had ur arm around my neck as i tell u this
Next
help!I'm hiv infect?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.