Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

A worrier from across the pond - WILL DONATE
Mar 18, 2007

Hi

A worrier from across the pond that desparately needs your help.

You are going to think that I am mad, but I am driving myself insane with worry and anxiety.

I am a healthcare worker in a laboratory. I work for a lab that tests high risk specimens. I have been worried about HIV for a while and have consulted my doctor because I get the sensation that something goes into my eye everyday at work, the doctor has put this down to work related stress beacuse it only happens at work.

Anyway, back to the reason why I am e-mailing you. Today at work I felt something in my eye, so I removed my lab coat, washed my hands with soap and exited the lab and washed my eye by cupping my hand with water. However, I think I washed my eye with the hand that touched the handle of the door in the lab while I was exiting. Does this put me at risk of HIV? There was no blood on my hand and I ran the tap over my hand for a few seconds before I washed my eye to get rid of any soap residue on my hand ( as it stings if it gets into your eye).

I got so upset that I could be at risk I was sent home beacuse I got myself into such a state!

Please answer my question I will donate money if you can tell me how to donate the money to you.

I would be grateful for a response so that I can sleep tonight. Many Thanks

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I absolutely agree with you! You are indeed "driving (yourself) insane with worry and anxiety." That is your true problem, not HIV. You have extreme HIV phobias and completely irrational fears of becoming HIV infected!

Your HIV risk is completely nonexistent. That you "get the sensation that something goes into (your) eye everyday at work" shows the depth of your anxiety!

I strongly advise you seek the help of a psychiatrist. Untreated problems like yours tend to only get worse. I would also suggest you consider a different career. Working with "high risk specimens" seems to be bad for your (mental) health!

Thanks for your desire to make a donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation. Donation information is available on the Foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org.

Good luck. Be well. (Yes, you are indeed physically well!)

Dr. Bob

Previous
a close call in massage
Next
PEP and Pregnancy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.