Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Longevity of hiv poz guy
Mar 17, 2007

Dr.Bob Hi Dr.Bob I am a gay 44 year old man and have been dating a 27 year old guy for the last 4 months. We haven't had sex yet. We really like each other and just really wanted to get to know each other before we started having sex. Last week he found out he was hiv poz. It doesn't scare me that he is poz and I am negative. My question is what is the longevity of someone living with hiv with all the new drugs out.

Thanks

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

I wish I had an infallible crystal ball to predict the future, but unfortunately I do not. The new drugs are exactly that new! Consequently we don't have long-term experience with them yet. What I can say is that the future looks a lot brighter today than it did 10 years ago and I assume (hope) it will look brighter still 10 years hence. With competent, comprehensive and compassionate HIV specialty care and access to the latest therapies, I would predict your boyfriend will die of old age, not HIV. One friend of mine told me recently: "I plan to live forever. So far, so good." Perhaps the most important piece of advice I can give about life is that it shouldn't be measured in length, but rather in depth. Enjoy today. Tomorrow will always be somewhat of a mystery for us all.

Dr. Bob

Previous
delta 32
Next
Just Wanted to Say Thank You

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.