The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Exposure with an HIV+ partner

Mar 16, 2007

I have been in an relationship for several months with a person who had neglected to tell me he was HIV+. We have protected intercourse everytime. However, on several occasions the codom has broke before ejaculation. I am being tested now. How many times should I be tested and should I choose to remain in this relationship are there other prcations other than just a condom that could be used?

Response from Dr. Frascino


He neglected to tell you he was HIV positive???? Hmmm . . . well usually a little fact like that doesn't slip one's mind. So unless your studmuffin has severe Alzheimer's, we'd have to assume he deliberately kept this information from you. Say, does he happen to work for the Bush Administration? They are masters of deception and keeping the truth well hidden.

Your HIV risk is the same as unprotected sex. HIV testing would be recommended now and, if negative, again in three months. Since your partner is confirmed to be HIV positive, the CDC would also recommend one additional test at six months to confirm your negative status.

Regarding other precautions, please review the information in the archives under the magnetic couples, sexual HIV prevention and sexual HIV transmission sections.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

health educator would like to say thanks
Are my Symptoms a sign of early HIV infection

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint