Dr. Bob... are you out there?

I have tried several times to contact you... I have seen in person infectious disease doctors but really trust you over all.On Aug 9th 2006 my husband had a reactive eliza hiv1/2 combo screening. The western blot showed all bands 0. None of the bands were present. In the 6 months since he has had 5 oraquick advance rapid screenings done at the state AIDS foundation and each time it was negative. I myself have had a dna pcr(negative)since then as well as 7 rapids( both oral fliud and blood) in the past 8 months. All Negative. My husband had the doctor run another Eliza (with blood) 5 months and 21 days after the reactive inital screen. Again reactive. Western blot again showed all bands 0. It listed each band every one said 0.We went to a infectious disease doc who said the western needs to be done again at 1 year and while almost 6 months in between the two blots is reassuring it could still change. The only person my husband has been with in the last 6 years is me. We seperated briefly . I slept with one other man and we were tested before we slept together even both of us negative. Upon learning of my husbands test this man retested and his was negative again. My husband did not date anyone during our 3 month sepaertion last year. Whats going on? Ive tested exactly 8 months after being with this other person and as of last week im negative. This has consumed my life and as educated as I think Ive become Im not able to determine if my husbands infected or not. We have not had any sex since his reactive screening in aug 2006? Please Doc Bob...help a girl get some sleep. tonight. Your words are like gold to me. Thanks so very much buddy.

Yes, I'm here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Both you and your husband are HIV negative. His reactive ELISA tests were "false positives," as clearly demonstrated by the subsequent negative Western Blot tests and five negative OraQuick Advance rapid tests! HIV is not your or his problem. No way. No how! Please note a reactive ELISA followed by a negative Western Blot test is considered a negative HIV test! Western Blot tests are more specific tests than ELISA tests. A number of people, for a variety of reasons, including the presence of cross-reacting antibodies, will repeatedly test positive on ELISA screening even though they are HIV negative. That's why a positive Western Blot is always needed as confirmation before a screening HIV test can be considered a true positive. Your husband also has essentially no HIV risk. You are definitively negative and he hasn't had a potential exposure for at least six years. Again, this is consistent with his reactive ELISA being a "false positive" and his true HIV status being definitively negative.

With no risk and the extensive HIV testing both you and your husband have already had, no additional HIV testing is warranted. You both are definitively and conclusively HIV negative.

Now get some sleep . . . but first you might want to . . . well, you know!

Seborrheic eczema
health educator would like to say thanks