Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

LITTLE MISS WORRIED WELL!!!!!!
Mar 15, 2007

What has happened to me. I thought i was over it, but im not. Im still worried and no matter how many hiv tests (more than 20) and hepc and hep b tests out to 15 months past last exposure) i am still convinced that i have hiv or hepatitis. Yes i have been to a therapist, yes i have been on meds for depression, but yet i cannot get better. Why? I still feel sick. Chills, achy body sore throat, three yeast infections (never had these before) and sore lymph nodes. What the hell is going on. I am trying to move on and live life. My marriage is better than ever, i just published another book, life is great otherwise. Do i still feel guilty from my affair, yes i do but could that cause all of this. I know stress can cause many symptoms but chills and body aches(arms, legs) and why are my lymph nodes sore. I have never had ANY of these symptoms before unless i had the flu. I feel like i have the flu eveyday and cant shake it. I dont have a fever, no cold symptoms. please help me. If its not HIV or Hepatitis than what can it be??? Please help me. I need some sort of a direction to go in. I had CMV in July but otherwise pretty healthy. Husband also was very sick with CMV. I am just sooooo tired, chilled and achy. Please help if you can? No one has answers for me anymore. My doctor had mentioned Chronic fatigue, i think that is crap and they just dont know what else to do with me. I want my life back, my healthy life back!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Little Miss Worried Well,

You diagnosed your own problem in your post! First, the title "Worried Well." I agree. You are "worried." That's your main problem. Underneath that you are indeed "well."

You also state, "I am still convinced that I have HIV or hepatitis." BINGO! Once again, your problem is that you are "convinced" you have a disease. However there is overwhelming and irrefutable evidence to the contrary. Consequently your problem is psychological leading to psychosomatic symptoms, rather than physical and caused by a virus. Next, you still feel "guilty." That guilt can lead to depression and anxiety once again feeding into your psychological problem. You report you are seeing a therapist and are on medications for depression. It appears this has not been all that helpful. I would propose two options. One, take a copy of this post and my response to your next therapy session and show it to your therapist. Discuss what should be your next intervention to help you confront your guilt, depression and irrational fears of having HIV or hepatitis. Second, you could try seeing a psychiatrist (M.D.) for a second opinion regarding treatment of your condition. Again, I would encourage you to bring a copy of this post and my response.

Certainly, after "more than 20" negative HIV, hepatitis B and hepatitis C tests out to 15 months past your potential exposure, there can be absolutely no doubt that HIV is not your problem. No way. No how! If you want your life back, you'll need to stop chasing diseases you could not possibly have and concentrate your efforts on your very real problems of guilt, depression and unwarranted HIV/hepatitis fears leading to psychosomatic illness.

Good luck! Your healthy life is waiting for you! Really, it is!

Dr. Bob

Previous
SERIOUSLY!!!
Next
Cincinnati sends condolences

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.