Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I am very Scared - Please Answer,
Mar 15, 2007

Hello Dr. Bob,

I have written in a couple of times before. Can you please answer a couple of quick questions? I have been with my current girlfiend for almost 5 years. Before we got together, I had an EIA test done at the 5 month mark of last exposure. It was negative. My girlfriend and I were tested together about 2 years into our current relationship and we were both negative. (Oraquick blood sample) My conern is that I have had a couple of oral squamous papilloma (oral warts) in the last two years and have had them surgically removed. My concern is that everywhere I read on this website that only 4/10 of 1% of the population gets oral warts that are HIV negative. That is basically equal to the error rate of the HIV tests, correct? Again, prior to my current relationship, I tested negative with an EIA blood test at 5 months after the last exposure with a girl (I am male). My current girlfriend and I were both tested using the Oraquick method two years into our current monogomous relationship. Both of us had negative test results. With regard to the oral warts, do you think I should re-test for HIV and or any additional strains? It really, really scares me that only 0.4% of the non-hiv population gets oral warts. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. It's not much, but I donated $50 on your website. I will try not to bother you anymore as I know you are busy.

From, "The never ending worry well."

Thanks for your time.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi "Never Ending Worry Well,"

A negative HIV test outside the window period trumps symptoms each and every time. You had a negative EIA five months after an exposure and then both you and your current monogamous partner had another negative test two years into your relationship. You just can't get any more negative than that. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how! OK?

As for oral warts, I'm not sure where you got the 4/10 of 1% statistic, but even if it's true, your oral warts are not HIV related. Why? Because you don't have HIV! If you don't believe me, you can always get a rapid test. It will undoubtedly be negative. You'll have an accurate result in just 20 minutes that should put any residual fears permanently to rest. I see your only potential problem being the "monogamous" relationship. Sometimes they don't turn out to be quite as monogamous as we originally thought they were. I'm certainly not accusing your partner of any indiscretion, but you did refer to her in your post as your "current girl-fiend!!!"

Dr. Bob

Previous
Thank you, thank you.
Next
SERIOUSLY!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.