is there such thing as HIV- carriers?

Hello Doc,

I have tested negative for HIV out to six months and believe I am negative per the recommendations of this site and my own doctor. However, yesterday I had a discussion with some co-workers that really freaked me out. I consider myself pretty educated on HIV but they sounded so convincing in their argument that I had to double check with you.

They stated that some people can test negative for HIV but have it dormant in their system and become carriers of the decease. Is this accurate? From everything that I have read you have to be HIV positive to transmit and have not read about dormant stages beyond 3-6 months. Please help me out doc, this sent my fears soaring again. I thought I had put all this HIV stuff behind me but they just pulled me back in.

No, there is no such thin as a dormant HIV carrier. Likewise, there is no such thing as a vampire, the tooth fairy, the Easter Bunny or a compassionate conservative, no matter what your whacko coworker may spout off about or what you may hear on Fox News!

"False positive" oral test, followed by negative blood test
Help I promis I will donate My Baby is Sick