Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Afraid. Sad. Lost.
Mar 13, 2007

I am sorry to hear about your brother. I dont know what to say as I've never experienced the passing of someone so close. God be with you, you are an incredible person as doubtless your brother was.

That said, January 28th I visited a massage parlor in Tijuana. I had protected sex with a sex worker. However, there are still two huge problems even though I used a condom. #1. Before I went to TJ that day, I trimmed my pubic hair and discovered, after I had sex that night, that I had nic'd myself while trimming that day. I saw the tiniest cut, very miniscule. Still, a cut is a cut. #2 I had masterbated a lot the day before which caused a lot of irritation to the skin of the penis, possibly even chafing/redness, I don't if this qualifies as sores? but the condom did not cover all of it. I know that HIV transmits through cuts and sores, so essentially if this sex worker had HIV am I still guaranteed to have received HIV? Furthermore, I have the sex worker's phone number, and in Tijuana the sex workers are required to get tested each month. I called her and she told me that she is clean ("Claro que Si!"), which essentially means nothing inasmuch as HIV takes three months to show up anyways. Would the transmission of HIV be easier during this period? When HIV is undetectable in an HIV test are the viral loads higher or is it harder for her to transmit it to me assuming she has it? What do you think doc, she is tested each month, I had a cut, irritation to the penis, so the condom meant zero. I'm too afraid to get an ELISA test? right now as I've heard that there are too many false positives at the 1 month mark so I'm waiting for the three month test. Is this silly?

Can you also please tell me how to go about donating money to your foundation. Do you accept credit card? What does the foundation prefer?

Best,

Terrified in California

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Terrified in California,

Your Tijuana sex-tango was protected. You should not be worried, let alone terrified! I would not consider "the tiniest, very miniscule cut" from manscaping your nether regions a "huge problem." Likewise, penis "irritation, possibly even chafing/redness" from repeatedly burping the nephew the day before does not qualify as a huge problem, even if the condom did not cover your entire overworked tallywhacker!

If your Tijuana-Mama was HIV positive, are you "guaranteed" to get it? No, of course not! Why would you think "the condom meant zero???" That is certainly not the case.

Regarding your other questions, I have no idea if your señorita gets tested every month or not. As for HIV transmission, it occurs more readily when viral loads are high.

Finally, regarding HIV testing, you should wait until the three-month mark. Tests taken prior to this are not considered to be definitive or conclusive.

Donation information for The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found on the Foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org. Yes, we accept credit cards, PayPal, checks, cash, stocks, bonds, gold teeth and just bout anything else! Thanks for your willingness to help others in desperate need. In return, I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month HIV test will be negative.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Oral Sex with HIV+ & Swallowing
Next
"False positive" oral test, followed by negative blood test

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.