scared shitless

Dr. Bob, This is my second time asking this question but the question is updated. I also went to your website and made a donation. You look different with a goatee then your picture shows here. You were much bigger than I thought. Any way please answer and I will send another donation of the same amount.

Long story short as possible. Shared coke with 6 guys. Assume the status of 3 are negative not sure of the others. Assuming I know is bad but in this world you have to have some faith. The other 3 have high risk behaviors like unprotected sex ect.

No needles and we did not smoke it. Just passing it back and forth with a set of car keys and a credit card. I am concerned that if one of them leaked blood not that I saw any or some type of nasal discharge on to the card or key and if I sniffed the key or card next, that I may of been exposed to the hiv virus.

Day 2, 103.1 temp. Body chills specifically in the legs. Could not get warm. Body aches and pains. Doctor said he thought I had the flu even though I tested negative for that. Prescribed theraflu and psudovent. Temp went away. Day 4 noticed thick white yellowish coating on tongue. Went back to Doc and he said it could be thrush and not to worry about it since it has something to do with the ph of the body and then he prescribed something for that. Am I missing something here. When I went back I told him about the events the previous 4 nights before. He said not related and that these flu symptons happened to soon to be caused by acute hiv infection. He is only a family doc and I am sure he is good but should I see someone else or trust him. Later that night I started breaking out with fever blisters. Day 5 have several gross looking fever blisters on lips and bottom of nose.

As you can see I am very scared. Did not cheat on my wife so I don't have to level with her there but will about the coke.

I lined up a counselor who specializes in substance abuse so I will seek her help there.

Questions Is it true that I had the flu like symptons too soon after ward to be concerned with hiv infection?

Could I have already been getting sick and this just moved the time table up from about 20 days to 2 days for ars?

When you go through acute hiv infection and develope flu like symptons I assume you would then be flu negative like I was,and this also caused concern. Should it?

Are the fever blisters and yellow tongue along with the flu like symptons consistent with what happens during acute hiv infection and is it possible based on what I told you that I became hiv infected by doing coke this way. That was the only possible expose that I could of had.

What is the likely hood that someone could get infected that way? Is the risk non existent?

Would a blood drop on a car key for a few seconds dipped in coke and sniffed caused all of this?

Assuming the worst and there was blood or nasal matter.

When I called the national hiv hotline posted on this site they told me that I have nothing to worry about. What do you think?

Finally I have a beautiful wife and two beautifull kids, you would love them. I am hurting, scared and desperate and need some answers and will donate again. Since I had a vasectomy my wife and I do not use condoms. Is it safe for me to have sex with her with out a condom or should I get tested. Should I get tested for peace of mind or you think it is warranted in this case? Also I know this does not seem to be as serious as some of the other questions that you take on but I don't know where to turn. I searched the archives and either I am to dumb to find info on this way of infection or there was not any info. Please,please, please respond. Also I do go to this site for info some times and am sorry to hear about your brother.

Sincerely, Scared to death.

Hello Mr. Shitless,

First off, I agree with your decision to get counseling and get off coke. I also agree with your decision to level with your wife. That way you can decide together on the use of condoms until you are both convinced of your negative status.

Regarding your questions:

1. The symptoms associated with HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS) take weeks, not days, to become manifest. I agree with your doctor.

2. No, you can not move the ARS timetable up.

3. No, there are many types of "flu" and the vast majority would test "flu negative" They have absolutely nothing to do with HIV.

4. Your symptoms of fever blisters and yellow tongue are not consistent with acute HIV. Your flu symptoms could be consistent, but the timing is way off. Consequently, I do not believe any of your symptoms are HIV related.

5. The HIV risk from key and credit card coke sharing would be negligible at best.

6. The chances are so remote as to be nonexistent, particularly considering your symptom onset so soon after your coke snorting.

7. Same answer as above!

8. I agree with that advice!

9. I suggest you level with your wife and then decide together on the use of condoms. I would suggest you get HIV tested at the three-month mark to put any residual worries permanently to rest.

Finally, thank you for your donation (www.concertedeffort.org). In return I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month HIV test is negative. (I strongly believe it will indeed be negative.)

Good luck! Remember, "things (don't always) go better with coke!"

testing outside window period. PERIOD!!!
You are funny