Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Medical question about blood test & late symptoms
Mar 8, 2007

Dr Bob, thanks for your reassuring reply, Even though you said my risk is low, I will get tested, actually this Tuesday 6th March, just to be sure as you agreed. Would be good if you get this before then :-) This question is more of a medical nature so I thought youd be in a better position to answer it than most: 1. I had some blood tests some time ago for Tissue Auto Antibodies (ANAs) and a Full Blood Count with white blood cell differential, liver profile, etc for some hair loss and facial rashes / eczema that I was getting (the doctor said were stress related as all blood tests were OK). I guess these tests dont pick up HIV, but would I know if I had late stage HIV infection / AIDS from them (say from the white blood cell test), so I can rule out AIDS at least? (I heard hair loss can occur at late stage HIV). 2. Had very longlasting bad cold about a month after one episode of oral sex, Lots of coughing, throatal, phlegm. Also, 2 weeks after oral sex this summer, had red rashes on either side of my nose (although maybe some eczema). Could this be opportunistic HIV infection? 3. I am scared that my last test was 4 years ago, but I have not had risk since except oral sex. Would I still be able to respond as well to treatment if I was positive and had been infected 3 or 4 years ago? Thanks again for being so kind to me, I will continue to donate to this foundation because of all the people I have spoken to, you have been the most attentive and caring and Im sure you help loads of people with fears like my own.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your fears continue to be completely unwarranted.

1. You do not have AIDS. I agree your problem is stress, not HIV.

2. No, definitely not.

3. You are not HIV-positive. You do not have AIDS. Hypothetically, if you did contract the virus four years ago, your expected response to treatment would not be compromised by the delay in starting medications.

I continue to urge you to address your problems of unwarranted HIV fear and anxiety, as that is where your true medical problems lie.

Thank you for your donation (www.concertedeffort.org). They are urgently needed and warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending you my good-luck/good-health karma that your definitive HIV tests will be negative, as I very strongly believe it indeed will be!

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Laws of HIV Disclosure
Next
Doctor must be wrong

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.