Just a comment doc

I have recently had and STD scare, and it was a bit of an eye opener. I am a combat vet (14 mos, Iraq) and when i returned home i pretty much let myself go. I went on a one year smoking, drinking, and sexing (mostly unprotected) binge. I used to be a prime example of physical fitness and now i can barely run a mile without hacking up a lung. Well, i finally got a wakeup call a few weeks ago when someone i had slept with informed me that she had an STD (HPV). I almost fell down upon hearing the news. I immediately logged on to the internet and began reading more about STDs than i ever really wanted to know, and the more i read about HIV and its early symptoms, the more anxious and nervous i got. I was literally having a panic attack for about three days. I plan on getting tested next week, but after having spent many hours on the internet researching I feel much more secure and confident. Since my little situation i have quit smoking, stopped drinking and stopped having unprotected sex until i find the right person and both of us are tested clean anf ready for a real relationship. My reason for writing this though is that i found you and your website very inspirational, and all things considered you are a very brave, couragous, and noble person. You also have a knack for being really frank and to the point on stupid questions, a trait any soldier can appreciate. Keep up the good work doc, a lot of people admire you. Ill be sending a donation.

Hey Combat Vet,

I'm delighted you have heeded your wakeup call rather than just hitting the snooze alarm! Thanks also for taking the time to write in with your kind comments. They are warmly appreciated. However, after 14 months in Iraq, it is I and everyone reading this forum that should be thanking you for your bravery, courageousness and nobility! You have my sincere admiration and heartfelt thanks.

Sure, I can handle the complex HIV questions and hurl wise-assed witty retorts at the more inane questioners, but when it comes to armed insurgents, I can assure you I'd be hopeless.

Welcome home and welcome back to the rest of your life. May it be filled with both health and happiness as partial payment for your service and sacrifice for us all.

I'm sending you my very best good-luck/good-health karma that your definitive HIV tests are negative.

Be well. Stay well. Many thanks.

Condom Breakage - level of risk?
HIV virus enter penis head?