Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Condom Breakage - level of risk?
Mar 8, 2007

Morning from across the pond.... I wondered if you could help a worried Brit who has made the mistake of visiting too many websites for information and ended up focusing on the worst case scenarios!

This site appears to be extremely "level headed" so I wonder if you could answer this....

How worried should I be about a condom breaking where I was the insertive anal partner (I am male and my partner was female) - I estimate that it was 2 or 3 minutes that I was unaware of the breakage and I am unaware of my partner's HIV status. She has had lots of partners (not a criticism) and I would hate to make presumptions based on this.

My mind is telling me that the risk was extremely low (the other activities were unprotected fellatio and cunnilingus and protected vaginal sex with no breakage) but the bad voice that is the worrier in me and some other sites are shouting that this was a high risk situation.

I'm planning on getting a check up in 3 months - not just becuase of this but becuase it makes sense anyhow, and am just wondering whether the next 13 weeks should just pass me by based on risk or whether I'm going to waste 13 weeks obsessing about this "high" risk. Any thoughts you have (especially those that tell me not to worry!!) would be warmly appreciated.

Thanks for all your patience - you kindly distributed my previous donation when I used your archives to help the fight against AIDS in Uganda... another is on it's way.

All the best

Post Extras:

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Worried Brit From Across the Pond,

Welcome back to the forum.

The estimated per-episode risk of acquiring HIV from unprotected (or failed-condom) insertive anal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 6.5 per 10,000 exposures. Your estimated statistical risk would be less, as we don't know the HIV status of your partner and your exposure was relatively brief.

Do I think you should spend the next 13 weeks worrying or, worse yet, focusing on worst-case scenarios? Absolutely not! As you can tell from the information above, the statistical odds are all in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this mattress mambo mayhem and condom snafu. What's done is done. Worrying about it won't help. Nor will it change the ultimate outcome of your test. You are doing the correct thing by getting an HIV test at the three-month mark. That's all that's warranted.

Thanks for your donation (www.concertedeffort.org). In return, I'm sending my very best good-luck/good-health karma that your definitive HIV test will be negative. (Please note my good-luck karma has yet to fail!!!)

Good luck, Brit Boy.

Be well!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Kills HIV virus: follow up
Next
Just a comment doc

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.