Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

scared to death
Mar 7, 2007

Hi Dr Bob,

I will be posting a donation and appreciate all you do. My anxiety, like many others is starting to take a toll. Almost 4 weeks ago I recieved unprotected oral sex for about 2 minutes. Nothing rough, no visible blood or anything. The woman looked kinda sleezy. A few days later I felt a pain at the tip of my penis so at day 5 I got tested....all negative. My Dr. thinks I have prostatitis. I already know what you will say but seeing it in writing may save a family and help a desperate man. Should I be worried about HIV? Would you recommend a 90 day test? One two minute mistake is crushing me.

Thank you.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

The two-minute mistake isn't crushing you; your guilt surrounding that lapse in judgment is.

If you are a frequent visitor to this forum, I have absolutely no doubt that you do already know exactly what I'm going to advise, because my advice is remarkably consistent. But since repetition is the mother of all learning (I read that in a fortune cookie), I'll reiterate my advice once again.

1. Insertive oral sex carries a remarkably low risk for HIV transmission. The estimated per-act statistical risk for acquiring HIV from unprotected insertive oral sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV-positive is 0.5 per 10,000 exposures. Your estimated risk would be even less, as we do not know the status of your "kinda sleazy" hoovering hookup.

2. If you are worried and clearly you are get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark to put your residual fears permanently to rest. Tests taken prior to three moths are not considered to be conclusive.

3. Level with your wife. It's not only the best way to confront your guilt; it's also the right thing to do!

You knew all that, didn't you? Of course you did.

I'll send my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month HIV test is negative (as I strongly suspect it will indeed be!)

Dr. Bob

Previous
re.Condom size
Next
My meds cost too much!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.