alcoholand viral load

i have been on ARV since june2004. I drink occasionally some times much sometimes less but recently i went for my blood test again and my cd4 count was749 and the viral load 1300. would it be because of the alcohol?i mean the viral load because i believe by now it should have been non detectable. i also have to confess at times i dont take my drugs and when i do i dont take it 12 hourly. could all this have an effect with the viral lopad still being at that level

Alcohol in excess is never a good idea; however, that is not the cause of a persistently detectable plasma viral load.

You report that ". . . at times I don't take my drugs and when I do I don't take them 12 hourly . . . ." BINGO! There's your problem. Noncompliance with your medication is the most likely cause of your suboptimal response to therapy. Not adhering to your medication schedule could also increase the chances of developing resistance to one or more of the medications in your regimen. I suggest you:

1. Talk to your HIV specialist. Advise him you haven't been adhering to your medication schedule. He may want to get a drug resistance test to see if your medications are still effective.

2. Take your medication exactly as prescribed.

3. Use alcohol only in moderation.

Million Dollar Question: update and good karma
BREAKING THE NEWS