Million Dollar Question: update and good karma

Hello Doc. How are you doing? I was the one that also wrote Comment to Urgent, Please Read I guess that guy was not happy at all. Well, straight to the update. I have being seeing my psychologist for 3 sessions now. And is coming along really well. Remember that I told you that I still have problems with joint pain, pain under my feet, throat, under my armpits, neck and inside my thighs. What got me really concern was tiny red spots in the head of my penis and inside the foreskin because I am not circumcised. This spots itch and were really uncomfortable. Well, I just went to see my regular doctor explain what was going on. He checked my throat, my armpits and my thighs and told me that he did not feel any nodes being swollen. So he asked to show him my problem in my penis, and so I did. After checking he ask me if I had been in promiscuous relationships, so I answer no, that I have not been sexually active for several years. He did not prescribe any medicine, he just gave me a note to get several blood work done, urine test and a throat culture. What got me really worried was the complete blood work which include VDRL and HIV. Even thought I test negative about 2 months ago and I have not put myself in any risk. I am really concern and I am not being able to sleep. Plus, the next day I started to develop mouth ulcers and a small lesion in my tongue that hurts. The red spot in my penis head are gone. But for about 8 months I have been suffering from mouth ulcers and abnormal sensation in my mouth all long and it does not seem normal. Do you think after all these years I am just seroconverting? I will be going for all the sample colletions on Friday. Please send me some good luck karma. Thanks Doc

No, I definitely do not think you are seroconverting! Your symptoms are not suggestive of that at all. Continue to work closely with your psychologist. Your problem remains one of fear of HIV, not HIV itself!

Good-luck karma sent (even though I don't believe you need it as far as HIV is concerned!).

Million Dollar Question (Feb 10, 2007)

Hello Doctor, I need to say that I am a fan of your site and you are a wonderful human being. My experience is as follows. I got really worried I had HIV after watching Age of AIDS on my local PBS station. Then I starting having symptoms related to HIV, swollen glands, flu, sore throat, mouth ulcers . I went ahead got tested 3 times and all are negative, and my last sexual experience was 5 years ago. I visited my physician and did not seem to be worried. He put me in antibiotics. Now, I have being in antibiotics for months and symptoms do not seem to vanish. Since my fears of HIV were irrational, I am seeing a psychologist to help me deal with this. I am also seeing my physician about the symptoms that I still have but he is not concern and keeps on prescribing antibiotics. Could it be that I am infected but not making antibodies? Do you think that I should see a HIV specialist that know more about the subject than a regular doctor? Also, I would like to express my condolences for the loss of your brother.

Your HIV tests are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.

Could you be infected but not making antibodies? Nope.

Do I think you should see an HIV specialist? Nope.

Your problem is not HIV; it's fear of HIV. You should continue to work with your psychologist to confront your irrational and totally unwarranted HIV fears.

Good luck. Thank you for your condolences.

By the way I think the PBS/Frontline documentary Age of AIDS is excellent and would highly recommend it to all readers of this forum.

safe sex gone wrong
alcoholand viral load