inactive herpes and hiv transmission

I have recently been diagnosed with hsv, the location being at the base of the penis (always use condoms, but apparently the condom didn't cover the base). I am aware active hsv erosions can increase ones hiv risk. my question: if I continue to use condoms, and I have no ACTIVE hsv lesions ( i.e. no vesicles or erosions)is my risk of acquiring hiv negligible? Thanks for your time and your web site. I recently made a 2k donation to unicef, under hiv treatment and prevention in africa. sincerely hsv +, trying to stay hiv -

As long as the skin is intact, which would mean no active HSV lesions, your risk of acquiring HIV would not be increased. However, I should mention the reverse is not true. It is possible to transmit herpes to your partner, even when no symptoms are present.

Life Guard
re: thousand dollar guy