Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Two HIV questions - Transmission and a possible cure?!
Feb 25, 2007

Hi Dr! Just had a few questions that didn't seem to have entire threads dedicated to them (or at least none that I could find).

Let's say, I'm just laying there and suddenly, through no fault of my own, there is a quantity of semen that is discharged upon my scantily clad body while Shakira's new remix plays in the background.

Is there a HIV risk associated with semen being ejaculated on one's body? Specifically, if it comes in contact with lips, nips and hips? Regardless if Shakira's hips lie or not...

Secondly, I'd like to reference an article and perhaps get your opinions on it.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/article2290687.ece

This was published Feb 21 and seemed to demonstrate significant progress. Just wanted to see if you had any insight, comments, etc.

Thanks as always!

- Lois Carmen Denominator

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

You were just laying there and suddenly, through no fault of your own, there was a quantity of semen that was discharged upon your scantily clad body while Shakira's new remix played in the background?????? Hmmm . . . maybe Shakira's hips don't lie, but do you really want me to believe your story? OK, OK, I'll believe you. Millions wouldn't, but I'll believe you! So you were spunked from lips to hips to hips??? Jeez Dude, what were you target practice for an entire rugby team's circle jerk? Or were you perhaps playing Davy Does Dallas? Never mind. Your baby-batter bath is not considered an HIV risk.

Second, the article in Nature describing the computer-generated 3-D image of a neutralizing antibody that might block gp120's ability to link to CD4 cells (a potential Achilles' heel of HIV infection) is indeed newsworthy and promising. However, it's still a very preliminary finding and making a safe and effective preventative or therapeutic vaccine from this information will require many years and a great deal of work before it would be ready for prime time if it really does turn out to work in humans! Don't get me wrong. I was jazzed when I first heard about this, but I'm also a realist and wanted to keep this and other findings in proper perspective. These are only insights and small steps toward AIDS medicine's Holy Grail a preventative vaccine and cure! As the article points out:

"Anyone who knows anything about Aids research knows that the field is littered with false dawns. American politicians promised an effective vaccine within five years of discovering HIV in 1984. British scientists thought that they could develop one within 10 years of being given huge government grants in the early 1990s. And in 1997 President Bill Clinton said he wanted to see an Aids vaccine by 2007 which, of course, has not happened."

Finally, getting back to Shakira's hips, if you really want the "Lois Carmen Denominator," I'd suggest you check out:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8718728501056290731

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Very concerned,please doctor
Next
Comment to URGENT!!! PLEASE READ...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.