The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What's the best way to treat herpes simplex?

Feb 25, 2007

Dr. Bob, you and your savvy are legendary/heroic! I'm a healthy poz guy, and after 18 years, have a 560 CD4, and VL is undetectable. I also have anal herpes, and would like your take on recent studies on women; findings conclude that control of herpes simplex with daily treatment or with a vaccine should be considered as a strategy to reduce HIV transmission. ...Would this apply to men as well? I have few "eruptions" that are brought on by stress, so my doc prescribed Valtrex, 1GM, daily, and it's working well. I want to do everything to protect my partner's health - he's neg. Cheers, Doc! s/a Swede in Washington

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Swede in Washington,

Although definitive studies in men have yet to be completed, it certainly makes good sense to me! However, I support your doctor's approach! However, I should also note there are some special warnings about use of Valtrex in folks with significant immunodeficiency. Specifically, high doses of Valtrex have proven dangerous in people whose immune system is compromised due to HIV infection, bone marrow transplant or kidney transplant. Consequently, an HIV specialist should oversee the use of this medication in HIVers.

Stay well and congratulations on your 18 years! BRAVO!

Dr. Bob

Simple Question - Will send donation!!
Can I finally WOOOOO-HOOOOOO!!!

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint