Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Guaranteed donation-----worry to death
Feb 22, 2007

I will donate $100 if my question was answered because I am worried to death. I would rather pay for my concern. I went to a free HIV test today. Actually I did not really want to do it because I am kind of worrying about getting infected by people who also came for the free test. However, when I saw the nurse wearing glove when she drew the blood, I feel much more confident. And I decided to do it. BUT, the nurse tore off the glove on one of her finger and touched the area around my cut again and again to push the blood coming out. (Maybe she felt more convenient to do it without the glove? ). I remembered just before me, there was a girl having trouble with drawing blood and my nurse used the same finger to push her arm and did not wear glove. When I realized it, I was almost crazy but I could not stop her because I was done. Right now I am worried about that the nurse grab some HIV virus from the blood or sweet of the other people and then her finger touched my arm around the area close to my cut. Although she applied some alcohol on my skin before drawing blood, her operation is not quite professional. Doctor, can you tell me my risk of getting infected HIV through this way? Is there any fact report that people get infected with HIV when they draw the blood or when they get vaccine? Touching my skin again and again around the area of my cut will bring HIV to my cut? I am very crazy and very scared right now. I could not do anything without figuring out this question. Please help to answer my question. I will donate $100, please tell me the address. Thanks....................

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your worries are unwarranted. The chances of contracting HIV from getting an HIV test even at the free clinic are nonexistent. Sweat (or "sweet") does not transmit HIV. That the nurse used an ungloved finger does not put you at any risk. If HIV were so easily transmitted, it would have wiped out the entire planet years ago. I would suggest you spend some time reading through the archives of this forum, paying particular attention to how HIV is and is not transmitted. For instance, you cannot contract HIV form drawing blood or getting a vaccine.

Finally, regarding your tax-deductible gift to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation, donations are always appreciated; however, please be aware that they are absolutely voluntary and not related to my work here at The Body. So, although donations will provide much needed help to those in need, they have no influence over which questions are selected for posting. Donations should be given only in the spirit of compassion, generosity and the desire to help others in desperate need.

Stay well. Stop worrying!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Nutty or Knowledgable Professor?
Next
Donation done: please reply!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.