Chlamydia and HIV

Hi Doc

I had one-off sex with a girl while on holiday in SE Asia, Manila to be exact. although I used a condom, it burst and I managed to contract chlamydia.

I was treated for chlamydia but am very anxious about the possibility of an HIV infection.

Can you please tell me the odds of having HIV? I don't know the girl and wouldn't normally worry but the fact that I had chlamydia after probably a 10 second open contact kind of puts things on my mind.

donation will follow. many thanks and more power.

Chlamydia is much more easily acquired than HIV (thankfully!). The estimated per-act risk for acquiring HIV from unprotected (or broken-condom) insertive penile-vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 5 per 10,000 exposures. Your estimated risk would be less, due to the fact we do not know the status of your Manila-Mama and your contact was extremely brief (10 seconds). A single HIV rapid test at the three-month mark is all you need to put your worries to rest.

Thanks for your donation (www.concertedeffort.org). In return, I'm sending my best good-luck karma that your HIV test is negative (as I strongly suspect it will indeed be).

My best friend is infected with hiv
please help doc, from firefighter!!