Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I am a hypchrondriac or do you think my worries are justified?
Feb 22, 2007

Ok, Here is my story. I have never told anyone this but feel safe telling you. Please let me know if you think I am crazy or not. I value your opinion greatly. First, I have always been paranoid of getting HIV/AIDS. All of my life since I first heard of aids) I am 37 I have been sure I would contract the virus in some way someday. Well, first I thought I got it from Toilet Seats, then from getting a haircut and not realize that was stupid of me. I was too afraid to have a relationship because of fear of getting aids. Well, I fell in love and couldn't help but get into a relationship with my partner ( We are both female) Anyway, I still had fears of HIV. My partner was married to a man and has had about 7 boyfriends in her life. We have been together a little over 6 years now. She had unprotected sex with all of them. After we first got together I had a sore throat for about 5 months off and on it would get better then worse before getting antibiotics for it and it was cured. Well, it wasn't strep, and the doctor asked who I had been kissing, which I didn't answer. I just don't know if it would be cured by Antibiotic if it was related to seroconversion. I got over it a few days on the antibotics and it hasn't reaoccurred. Anyway, I got over that and everything seemed fine and I tried to go on and not think I had Aids or something. Then about three years into our relationship, my partner developed night sweats which seemed to go on for several weeks/months. She was working 3rd shift and not getting rest and was drinking some then so I wonder if it was related to that and tried to make myself believe it was related to that. She had hives once during that time too. I have had no other symptoms since the sore throat. She has had no symptoms since the night sweats, that I am aware of, and that has been almost 4 years. I just wonder if you think I am a hypochrondric like I have been all my life or if we both have HIV and just don't know it yet? Am I crazy??? Has HIV/AIDS finally found me. I feel like all my life it has been after me and it is making me crazy. Help please.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Well, I don't think you're certifiably "crazy," but you're not exactly a "well Belle" either. Being "paranoid of getting HIV/AIDS" for your entire life is not normal. You now realize your fears of contracting HIV form toilet seats or getting your hair cut were unjustified. And I totally agree. Your current focus on minimal symptoms that occurred years ago is equally loony tunes. There is no doubt you need psychiatric help to confront your HIV phobia, a totally irrational fear. If you remain concerned about HIV, a single HIV rapid test will give you a definitive and conclusive answer in 20 minutes. HIV is not chasing you; you are chasing it!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!
Next
Short question... countdown to test... needing kharma xx

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.