Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What to do in the meantime? (wait or fight before the battle begins?)
Feb 20, 2007

Hello Dr. I had a protected sexual relationship with a men (I performed a fellatio he was used a REAL flavored condom, taste Tutti Fruti) Later a friend of mine that also knew this guy told me that I shouldn't have had that relationship and that I must have a test at the three months (I asked him why, and he only told me he knows one of his ex-lovers, and that I should trust him). That scared me a lot because he was very serious when he told me this. I want to ask you what can I do in the meantime? My friend recommended me to exercise (I am a litle bit overweight), change my dietary habits and start taking supplements of selenium and vitamin E to start early in boosting my inmune system so when the virus starts attacking me find my inmune system strong and allow me to live longer. He also told me that I shouldn't drink alcohol and that I must drink a chinese tea that I do not recall its name (it starts with R) but that is well known as boosting your count of white cells (he insists that I should take that tea). I am very anxious, doctor, my friend seems to know many things(too much, to be honest, I am very suspicious of whom is the ex-lover), but I still want an expert opinion of what to do in the meantime (my friend is not a doctor, he is a musician). There is something generally recommended, or people should not do anything and just wait. I bet there must be some guidelines but I couldn't find them in this website. Bobby

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Bobby,

I sure hope your friend is a better musician than he is medical advisor!

Let's review some sound medical facts:

1. If your sexual relationship was protected and the latex condom didn't fail, your HIV transmission risk would be nonexistent. HIV cannot permeate intact latex. No way. No how.

2. The immune system is not boosted by selenium or vitamin E supplements. Similarly, I suggest you drink tea for pleasure (it does not boost white cells). Exercise, a good diet and alcohol only in moderation, along with getting adequate sleep and reducing stress, are good general health measures. (These are not HIV or immune system specific.)

So, even though oral sex carries only a very low risk for HIV transmission and your Tutti Frutti wrap-job reduces that risk to virtually nonexistent, if you are worried about the secondhand information about your trick's ex-lover, go ahead and get a single three-month test. It will undoubtedly be negative and should put any of your residual fears permanently to rest. I'd also suggest you educate your musician friend. Turn him on to this Web site if he wants scientific information about HIV/AIDS.

Dr. Bob

Previous
this question is begging on its knees to be answered Bob!
Next
just want to say thank you

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.