sore throat for five weeks...please help!!!!

Hi Dr. Bob, First off, I am sorry to hear about the loss of your brother. And secondly, thank you for your help on this website. About a month ago I had a finger stick hiv test and it was negative. It was well beyond three months from a possible infection. However, a few days later after the test I got a sore throat and it has not gone away, now five weeks later. It comes and goes. Sometimes during the day it hurts then later it doesn't, it is off and on daily. I am wondering, could I have been infected when I took the hiv test? I tested at 4 weeks after I took the first test and it was negative. How helpful was this? I felt good about it for a few days but I am now feeling like I need to test again and becoming nervous all over. If this was ARS would it do this? I have been to the doctor and was checked for strep which I did not have. The doc gave me nasal spray and clarinex. Has not helped. Finally, I am also wondering about the guy that said he would donate a thousand dollars if you could tell him he was negative. Has he written back? THANKS FOR ALL YOU DO!!!

A few facts:

1. A negative HIV test beyond the window period trumps "symptoms" each and every time.

2. You cannot get HIV infected by getting tested for HIV. (That would be really counterproductive, doncha think?)

3. A negative test at four weeks is encouraging, but not conclusive, as tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be definitive.

4. Lots of folks promise to send donations to my foundation in hopes of encouraging (bribing) me to respond to their question. Often they never follow through with their promise. I don't mind, as my work here at The Body is free for all and certainly not dependant on someone making a contribution to my tax-exempt charity! (Although I must admit I would think it might be bad karma to make such promises under false pretense!) My feeling is that donations should be given solely out of compassion, generosity and a strong desire to help others who are less fortunate. (You can probably guess what happened with thousand-dollar guy!)

Turning back to your situation, HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. I suggest you follow up with your doctor if your sore throat is persisting. One thing to be certain of, however, is that HIV is not causing it, OK?

No viral load - Lower risk ?
indeterminate test results (INDETERMINATE WESTERN BLOT)