Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Bush supporter needs some advice
Feb 14, 2007

I support Bush. I do not agree with everything he does, and think his policies on sex education and the emphasis on abstinence are not only disgraceful but also harmful. But I do support his foreign policy and think the Iraq war was justified and necessary. Anyway, on to my question. In February 2006 I had unprotected sex with a random girl, and I went to see some Doctor in July. He tested me I was negative for everything except Chlamydia. Now, in September, I stupidly went to a strip club where the stipper was naked, I had my boxers on. But then she gave me an 'extra', which was a handjob. Now heres the problem. 4 weeks later I came down with classical ARS symptoms, saw throat, a bit of fever, and some eczema. I was completely scared, and only had the courage to go back to the Doctor yesterday. And he said I don't need testing. But I think he is wrong as A. I had symptoms, and B. when I went to him last time after my unprotected sexual encounter he said that although I needed to be tested my risk for STD was not high as I only had sex once. But I still got chlamydia! So he was wrong then, could he be wrong again about saying I don't need testing? I'm probably a victim of Bush's sex ed program so have some sympathy. But his foreign policy is good I think. Good luc kwith everything Dr Bob

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your opinion of Dubya's sex-ed. policies "disgraceful and harmful" is right on target. His Iraq policies are far worse!

You think your doctor's advice that you don't need HIV testing after a stripper handjob is wrong, but you think Bush's disastrous Iraq debacle is right? Hmmm . . . . I think there is something seriously wrong with your thinker!

I agree with your doctor and disagree with Bush.

Turning back to your Feb. '06 sex-perience, unprotected sex (another lapse in your judgment) would put you at risk for STDs, including HIV. Chlamydia is much easier to acquire than HIV (thankfully). Consequently, that you tested positive for chlamydia and negative for HIV in July is not at all surprising.

Your September adventure involved only a handjob form Bouncing Betty at the Badda Bing. Handjobs are not considered to be a risk for HIV transmission.

As for your "symptoms," HIV symptoms are notoriously unreliable in determining who is and who is not HIV infected. Whether to undergo HIV testing should be based on HIV risk, not on the presence or absence of "symptoms." If you remain worried, get a single HIV test at the three-month mark. It will undoubtedly be negative, but it may be the most efficient and effective means to put your unwarranted HIV fears permanently to rest.

As for your statement, "But Bush's foreign policy is good I think," all I can do is ask you to think again!!!!!

Dr. Bob

Previous
STD(hpv) and the immune system
Next
Alex, your mexican friend. I did learn the lesson, right???

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.