Positive EIA

Dr. Bob, I wrote to you last in September of 06'. I have been tested for HIV a total of 3 times in the past year. I tested in July with a positive EIA and negative Western Blot, my last possible exposure being in April of 06'. I was then tested again in October of 06' and the results came out the same way. Is there anyway the western blot has not detected any antibodies because there has not been enough time for it to pick up. The guy I was dating was tested one month prior to our break up and his was negative. I am also trying to stay in close contact with his ex girlfriend, whom has also tested negative. I seem to be getting rashes on my body, they will flare up and go away. Below my chin there are tiny bumps which feel like dry skin but I don't believe that is what it is. I have also developed what seems to be a mucocele on my lower inner lip. I have been to an internalist and he does not think any further testing is necessary. Given the time frame I have stated above, could anyone offer me any explanations as to why I am getting these "symptoms" if the doctor thinks everything is okay. I am really not scared for it anymore, but I am a little scared to go get another test done. The anxiety from testing is killer. Either way I have decided that this is how I need to spend my life, I am going to fight for everyone out there. I just need some insight from a well educated person who deals with this sort of thing on a regular basis. Please any words would be appreciated. Would you recommend another test? I love the work this site does for everyone out there dealing with these issues. It is awesome to know that we are not alone. Thanks a million, Ashley

Hello Ashley,

A positive EIA but negative Western Blot should be considered a negative HIV test. The Western Blot is a more specific test than the EIA. Consequently I agree with your doctor. No further HIV testing is warranted. I unfortunately cannot diagnose the cause of your symptoms over the Internet, but I can tell you what's not causing them. It's not HIV. (You can read about "false positive" antibody tests in the archives.)

Desperate - please help do I need PEP?
Re: Desperate...need advice 11 Jan