Million Dollar Question

Hello Doctor, I need to say that I am a fan of your site and you are a wonderful human being. My experience is as follows. I got really worried I had HIV after watching Age of AIDS on my local PBS station. Then I starting having symptoms related to HIV, swollen glands, flu, sore throat, mouth ulcers . I went ahead got tested 3 times and all are negative, and my last sexual experience was 5 years ago. I visited my physician and did not seem to be worried. He put me in antibiotics. Now, I have being in antibiotics for months and symptoms do not seem to vanish. Since my fears of HIV were irrational, I am seeing a psychologist to help me deal with this. I am also seeing my physician about the symptoms that I still have but he is not concern and keeps on prescribing antibiotics. Could it be that I am infected but not making antibodies? Do you think that I should see a HIV specialist that know more about the subject than a regular doctor? Also, I would like to express my condolences for the loss of your brother.

Your HIV tests are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.

Could you be infected but not making antibodies? Nope.

Do I think you should see an HIV specialist? Nope.

Your problem is not HIV; it's fear of HIV. You should continue to work with your psychologist to confront your irrational and totally unwarranted HIV fears.

Good luck. Thank you for your condolences.

By the way I think the PBS/Frontline documentary Age of AIDS is excellent and would highly recommend it to all readers of this forum.

My condolences
Sorry about your brother.