Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Testing Concern
Feb 9, 2007

OK Long story.... About 3 years ago, I started donating Plasma to a blood center. Over that time I donated around 10-12 times without any problems. In 09/05, they stated that one of my donations came back + for HIV. My last risky encounter had been 7-8 years earlier. I had donated a few times before without problems. That same day I went to a local health clinic and took the Rapid oral test and tested neg. I went to my doctor a week later and took a blood test (HIV-1 AB Screen w/Refl)that came back neg. as well. My doctor said there was nothing to worry about. Starting in July of this year I got a sinus infection that would not go away. Along with the sinus issue I have picked up several other medical problems. I have lost around 20 lbs, I became fatigued, severe joint pain, lost muscle mass in my arms and legs, hand numbness, enlarged glands all over, and blurred vision. I have been to the doctor several times with no answers. I tested twice again in Aug. for HIV and both came back neg. again. (Differnent Clinics) I have also tested for other things like Mono, Lyme Disease , allergy testing ect. but everything comes back normal. I have gone to a ENT, Neuro and a Rheu. for testing and referal and nothing has come up. The weight has come back but I am still having vision issues and off and on hand numbness, and minor sore joint isues. I am worried these issues are HIV related. Any other test or suggestions that I should look for???

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You diagnosed your own problem when you wrote "I am worried these issues are HIV related." Your problem is "worry," not HIV! You've been to many physicians and no physical cause for your "vision issues" and "off and on numbness and minor sore joint issues" could be determined. You've had numerous HIV tests conclusively confirming you are HIV negative and that the "positive" test at the 09/05 blood bank was a "false positive." Consequently, what you need is not more tests, but rather psychological or psychiatric help in confronting your irrational and totally unwarranted fears of being HIV positive. Once you truly accept the wonderful news that you are HIV negative, your "symptoms" will magically disappear. Check out the archives, as there are many cases very similar to yours that you should find reassuring.

Dr. Bob

Previous
WOOOOOOO-HOOOOO
Next
OUR DEEP SYMPATHIES

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.