African HIV charities

Dear Dr Bob,

I'm not worried I've got HIV, I just wanted you advice on HIV charities in Africa.

My boyfriend is currently working in Mali and Mauritania (he's a geologist) and he's going to be away on valentine's day :(

I've found out from a friend that he's planning to send me some stupidly expensive flowers to make up for the fact he's not with me for Valentine's. I'd rather he gave the money to charity, to be honest, as I don't see the point in spending that much money on flowers which will be dead in a week. Do you know of any charities working in West Africa (Mali and Mauritania might be a bit specific I guess) who do good work in HIV education, prevention and/or treatment? I am reluctant to make a donation to any charities who do not advocate the use of condoms, if you know what I mean. I hope you won't be offended that I want to give to an African charity rather than your foundation (I will make a donation to your foundation too).

Please advise if you can,

Thanks

Helen

Hi Helen,

I've heard good things about Africare (www.africare.org). They have carried out a variety of HIV/AIDS-related programs in Mali. However, I don't have any personal experience with them yet. My foundation is in the process of reviewing grant proposals, several of which involve West African countries and programs. I should have additional information soon.

I am sorry for our loss
Uneducated Top