Your expertise is appreciated

Dear Dr. Bob: I am very grateful for your professional expertise and the manner in which you address all of our concerns, and I hope you will help put my mind at ease. I am a heterosexual female who had unprotected vaginal intercourse with a heterosexual male from April - May 2006. About 10 days after the last exposure, I started with all sorts of different symptoms. Starting with vaginal itching and feeling of urgency. Went to GYN 2x and the wet mount showed nothing and no UTI. In early June had flu-like symptoms (nausea, vomiting, fatigue, but no fever, no diarrhea). Lasted for 2-3 days. Went to GYN again and this time told I had yeast infection and given Monostat for 7 days. But the vaginal itching still persisted. From June through September, had off and on symptoms such as tingling sensation, loss of appetite, extreme fatigue, blotchy skin, easy bruising, mouth sores/red blotches on inner cheeks, generalized itching,etc. I also had confirmed UTI in Aug.and took CIPRO for 10 days. During this period, we both tested Neg. to all STD's. He tested for HIV 1 (EIA) at 6 weeks after our last encounter - non reactive. I was a bit relieved but starting end of Oct to current, I have now a white, sore tongue and a dry mouth. I still bruise easily and sometimes feel "stitch-like" pains below my ribs. (enlarged spleen?) He has no symptoms. Since I am petrified to test for HIV, he tested again on Jan.11 to relieve my anxiety (this is now 8 1/2 months since our last encounter) and has tested non -reactive again to EIA HIV 1. Since I have not had any other encounters, shall I take his non-reactive results as definitive that I also do not have HIV? My concerns are as follows: 1. Do you think we can both have HIV 2 since his tests were only for HIV 1? 2. Is it possible that a person can acquire this virus from the following scenario: Fresh virus on the handle of a public restroom, I touch it and inadvertently touch my vaginal area with it while inserting a tampon.

Dr. Bob, I appreciate your response as I am going insane as my active mind keeps presenting different scenarios as how else could one get this virus. I appreciate your response and will make a donation to your worthy cause. Thank you.

Sorry sweetie, but sending your boyfriend in for repeated HIV tests because you are too "petrified" to get tested won't cut it! Surrogate testing is not reliable. Stop being such an anxious ninny. Your chance of being HIV positive from what you've told me is virtually nonexistent. However, only an HIV test your own HIV test can give you a definitive and conclusive answer.

Do I think you have HIV-2? No, I do not.

Can you get HIV from the handle of a public restroom??? Please tell me you're kidding! No, dearie, you cannot contract HIV this way. Your HIV fears are irrational. Counseling may help.

Thanks for your donation (www.concertedeffort.org).

Thanks a million
I'm sorry for your loss