The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

When to get tested/broken condom

Feb 7, 2007

I had intercourse with a female sex worker, the first time I'd had sex in almost two years. Condom broke. I never ejaculated. I take so many antidepressants it's almost impossible. Sex worker said condom broke "outside" or between her thighs and not during vaginal intercourse.

So: What's my risk? Should I be tested? (this is an isolated incident of risky sex) When should I be tested?

(I'm hoping soon because I have a neurotic anxiety disorder and will probably go nuts)

If this is part of a non-profit, I'd be glad to make a donation.

Anxious in Arizona

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Anxious in Arizona,

No sex for two years and then when you do get lucky the condom breaks and you don't even get to pop your cork??? Jeeeeez, no wonder you are on antidepressants!

Your risk would of course be quite different if the condom broke "outside" (no HIV risk) versus "inside" the love canal. If you aren't sure, you should get tested. A single HIV test at the three-month mark is all that's needed. The odds are very much in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this unfortunate incident.

My nonprofit tax-exempt HIV/AIDS charitable foundation, The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation, is not part of this Web site ( Additional information about my foundation can be found at

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

What to expect
Quick Question

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint