Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What to expect
Feb 7, 2007

My fiancee was recently diagnosed as being HIV+. We have had unprotected sex before she was diagnosed, and I am currently being tested. After a good deal of internal struggle with the matter, I know that I love her and I've decided I cannot live my life without her regardless of my status. I've read what I can find on the Internet as to protect myself. We've started to practice safe sex (condom use) to insure that if I am negative that I shall stay that way. What are some of the things that I need to expect? If I do test positive, since I would have contracted it from her (I was tested and negative before meeting her), do we still need to worry with condoms as we would have the same strain?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Hopefully you will not test positive! You'll need follow-up testing out to six months for a definitive negative result. If you do test positive, I would suggest you continue to practice safer sex with your poz fiancée. The same viral strain could evolve differently in different people, due to a variety of host immune factors. See below.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Is it advisable for positive couples to still use condoms? Sep 28, 2005

One month ago, I was diagnosed as positive even though I always practiced safer sex. I know that I was infected by my boyfriend, a long-term non-progressor (who has been positive for 8 years, has an undetectable viral load, and has never taken meds). Because he infected me, doesn't this mean that we have the same viral strain? And more importantly, is it necessary that we still use condoms? One physician urged us to continue using condoms, saying that it was possible for him to reinfect me with a different strain of the virus.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Even if your boyfriend did transmit the virus to you (unlikely if you "always practiced safer sex" properly), the virus may evolve differently in two different people. Consequently you may now have somewhat different viral subspecies. I would agree with the physician who urged you to continue using condoms to avoid the possibility of reinfection (superinfection) or possible transmission of other STDs. Of course the ultimate decision is up to you and your boyfriend; however, it's a risk I certainly would not take. Check out the information in the article from Project Inform entitled "Re-infection: Is it a concern for people living with HIV" (http://www.thebody.com/pinf/jan03/reinfection.html). You should also review the information pertaining to reinfection in the archives of the Safer Sex/HIV Prevention Forum.

Good luck to both you and your partner.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
My sympathies
Next
When to get tested/broken condom

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.