Penny for your thoughts!

well, I donated a bit more than a penny, but it seems you like catchy titles! How you doing doc? Ive been reading this site for a few months now, and it has helped me tremendously to see that Im by far not the only person in the world worrying myself stupid about this! I had unprotected sex a few months ago, and since then, things havent been right with my body. Im hoping that a lot of it is down to stress, but there are a few things that I cannot put down to stress and that are worrying me. Almost six months after the incident, I still have swollen glands in my neck and the glands in my groin are somewhat tender, I have a persistent sore throat and diarrhea as well as a rash on my chest and palms of my hands. I had a negative test inside the window period, as well as a negative P24. After reading this site, and plucking up a lot of courage, I went for a test a few weeks ago which took me to four and a half monthswords cannot describe how I felt as the HIV specialist put her hand on my knee and grinned as she said, theres nothing to worry about, the test is negative, I really had to fight back the tears(oh god, am welling up again thinking about it!) She,(the HIV specialist), and my doctor have told me that if these symptoms were caused by HIV, my body would have produced detectable antibody levels by now. I want so much to trust what they say, but I cannot help but wonder what is causing my all these symptoms. I just have a couple of questions I would be eternally grateful if you could try and answer for me.

The doctor said another test in a few weeks, (six months), is not neededis it at all common to see a patient test negative at this stage, and then turn positive?

Is my doctor correct in saying that if these symptoms were due to HIV, the ELISA would have picked something up? They also told me that ARS symptoms last this long.

I know all the signs point toward me being negative, but at the moment, I just dont understand what is going on with my body. I have another appointment this week with my doctor to assess things and go for further tests to see if we can find the cause, but in the meantime, I would be so grateful if you could help me lay these HIV demons to rest!

With thanks and admiration,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Yes, I am a sucker for a catchy title! Thanks for your donation! (www.concertedeffort.org)

I agree with your doctor: HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. To answer your specific questions:

1. No, not at all common!

2. Yes.

I cannot diagnose the exact cause of your symptoms over the Internet. However, I can certainly advise you as to what is not causing them: it's not HIV! Could it be stress? Yep! It certainly could! I agree "all the signs point toward being negative." That's logical because you are HIV negative!

Be well, Tom.

terrified
sick with worry