Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I think i know what can cure HIV
Feb 7, 2007

Hi Doc

Iv been thinking about how to cure hiv lately. It came to me when I was reading one of your posts; although it may sound a bit radical, its interesting to think about.

You stated that there is not enough funding to find a cure because people think it is someone elses problem and there is not enough attnetion being paid to finding a cure given that there has been such an improvement in meds over the last decade. You stated that everyone became mobilized with SARS outbreaks or the bird flu because of the imminent threat they posed.

What if we were to infect some very prominent people with HIV. For example CEO's, congressman, policymakers, world leaders, etc....

It would be like an AIDS terrorist organization where a group of people go around infecting very important people in order to bring it to their attention and really mobilize an effort to find a cure.

I think if this happened, there would definatly be a cure within the next 5 years dont you think? If not a cure at least significant advances in medication and therapy so that HIV would not be any more of a problem than diabetes, or other viral infections. (I have heard people say that HIV is now a chronic manageable disease and I think its BS. What is manageable about having to take medication every day and suffering from side effects that dont allow you to live a normal life. Sure they may keep you alive but is it even worth it?)

It sounds a bit radical but what else would change peoples opinion of this horrible disease and realize something must be done.

Terrorism is an extremely effective way of conveying a message and getting a point across. Look at the role terrorism has played through history.

We could sit there and lobby to politicans with signs and stories and lectures for 50 years and get no real response except a few proverbial dollars out of the trillion dollar budget the federal government has. Why not take a more radical route?

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Any thoughts???

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

An AIDS terrorist organization to infect CEOs, congressmen, policymakers and world leaders????? Gosh, why would you think such an idea "may sound a bit radical????" Desperate times may indeed call for desperate measures, but I really can't support such an unfathomable concept! (Besides, we all know most rightwing CEOs, congressmen and policymakers are sex-phobic. So infecting them with a sexually transmitted disease might be a real challenge!) I suggest we consider other options. People's opinions change when the truth is revealed and understood. Take the Iraq war, for instance. Now that the facts are slowly being squeezed out of the bumbling Bush-Cheney war machine, public opinion of both the war as well as "The Decider" and "Vice" have plummeted. What we need to do is make the facts about the HIV/AIDS pandemic better understood. Once people really understand that HIV/AIDS is not a distant threat, but rather a clear and present danger; once they realize it's the greatest human health crisis of our time; once they truly understand the magnitude of this human tragedy; I believe they will indeed "realize something must be done." Who could turn their backs on:

1. 25,000,000 lives snuffed out prematurely by the virus (a new death every 10 seconds of every minute of every hour of every day).

2. 15 million AIDS orphans.

3. 14,000 new HIV/AIDS infections per day.

Congressmen who rally behind a single brain-dead woman (Terri Schiavo) and pass emergency laws based solely on religious belief and political agenda while completely ignoring the devastation and suffering of the AIDS pandemic need to be voted out of office. This, of course, applies to Dubya and his unconscionable stand on condoms and their role in preventing HIV/AIDS. (Of course this is only one of many issues that will secure the Bush legacy as the worst president in our nation's history.)

So, returning to your AIDS terrorist idea, I do not agree with the idea to scare people into action. Knowledge and truth are much more powerful and moral tools to effect positive change for us "positives."

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Very scared now
Next
please, please please!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.