I think i know what can cure HIV

Hi Doc

Iv been thinking about how to cure hiv lately. It came to me when I was reading one of your posts; although it may sound a bit radical, its interesting to think about.

You stated that there is not enough funding to find a cure because people think it is someone elses problem and there is not enough attnetion being paid to finding a cure given that there has been such an improvement in meds over the last decade. You stated that everyone became mobilized with SARS outbreaks or the bird flu because of the imminent threat they posed.

What if we were to infect some very prominent people with HIV. For example CEO's, congressman, policymakers, world leaders, etc....

It would be like an AIDS terrorist organization where a group of people go around infecting very important people in order to bring it to their attention and really mobilize an effort to find a cure.

I think if this happened, there would definatly be a cure within the next 5 years dont you think? If not a cure at least significant advances in medication and therapy so that HIV would not be any more of a problem than diabetes, or other viral infections. (I have heard people say that HIV is now a chronic manageable disease and I think its BS. What is manageable about having to take medication every day and suffering from side effects that dont allow you to live a normal life. Sure they may keep you alive but is it even worth it?)

It sounds a bit radical but what else would change peoples opinion of this horrible disease and realize something must be done.

Terrorism is an extremely effective way of conveying a message and getting a point across. Look at the role terrorism has played through history.

We could sit there and lobby to politicans with signs and stories and lectures for 50 years and get no real response except a few proverbial dollars out of the trillion dollar budget the federal government has. Why not take a more radical route?

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Any thoughts???

An AIDS terrorist organization to infect CEOs, congressmen, policymakers and world leaders????? Gosh, why would you think such an idea "may sound a bit radical????" Desperate times may indeed call for desperate measures, but I really can't support such an unfathomable concept! (Besides, we all know most rightwing CEOs, congressmen and policymakers are sex-phobic. So infecting them with a sexually transmitted disease might be a real challenge!) I suggest we consider other options. People's opinions change when the truth is revealed and understood. Take the Iraq war, for instance. Now that the facts are slowly being squeezed out of the bumbling Bush-Cheney war machine, public opinion of both the war as well as "The Decider" and "Vice" have plummeted. What we need to do is make the facts about the HIV/AIDS pandemic better understood. Once people really understand that HIV/AIDS is not a distant threat, but rather a clear and present danger; once they realize it's the greatest human health crisis of our time; once they truly understand the magnitude of this human tragedy; I believe they will indeed "realize something must be done." Who could turn their backs on:

1. 25,000,000 lives snuffed out prematurely by the virus (a new death every 10 seconds of every minute of every hour of every day).

2. 15 million AIDS orphans.

3. 14,000 new HIV/AIDS infections per day.

Congressmen who rally behind a single brain-dead woman (Terri Schiavo) and pass emergency laws based solely on religious belief and political agenda while completely ignoring the devastation and suffering of the AIDS pandemic need to be voted out of office. This, of course, applies to Dubya and his unconscionable stand on condoms and their role in preventing HIV/AIDS. (Of course this is only one of many issues that will secure the Bush legacy as the worst president in our nation's history.)

So, returning to your AIDS terrorist idea, I do not agree with the idea to scare people into action. Knowledge and truth are much more powerful and moral tools to effect positive change for us "positives."

Stay well.

Very scared now
please, please please!!!