Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worried Sailor.....Please Doctor Bob Your All I've Got
Feb 7, 2007

First, let me say you do an awesome job on this site. I check the forums everyday and it really has helped me. I have a few questions that I would greatly appreciate if you answered. I know you are very busy but your all I have while I am here at sea.

Dec 23rd, 2006 I got a sex worker while we were visiting Greece. It originally was for oral sex and it pretty much was. There were a few times when she inserted my penis into her vagina but it didnt last very long because I was intoxicated. I wore a condom and the condom never broke. There were a few brief times I touched her vagina with my fingers, which I think wasn't very wet to begin with.

The next day or the day after I noticed a very small cut on my finger right below where the fingernail meets the skin. I started to worry frantically because I fear I may have contracted HIV through this small cut. I can't remember if the cut was there before or after the act. I immidiately started checking myself everyday for symptoms, which I haven't had very many. I know symptoms dont equal HIV but for some reason I still check myself out and every little thing that could be related to ARS that I have I freak out. Are my chances of getting HIV like this high or very low? Should I constantly be worrying about this?

I keep looking forward to when I go home after deployment and worry about not being able to do the things I normally did because I have HIV. Please Doctor Bob I really need you to answer this question. I will surely make a donation to your fund. I will be getting tested when I return in May. Thank you and God Bless.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Worried Sailor at Sea,

Your HIV risk is so remote it is essentially nonexistent. Should you be worrying? No.

Should you be continually monitoring yourself for possible symptoms? No.

Should you get HIV tested in May when you go home after deployment? Sure. If you remain even slightly concerned, a single HIV test will put those residual fears permanently to rest. I'm quite confident the test will be negative and that they will hear your WOO-HOO all the way to the top of the Acropolis in Athens!

Be well. Stay well. Stop worrying!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Just Started Atripla
Next
Wishing you the best

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.