breathing easier

Hello Dr. Bob, I'm so very sorry to hear about your brother passing away. My prayers and best wishes are with you.

Well, I took my first HIV test this morning at about 8:30 am, the last 2 weeks have been pure hell. I have worked myself up into an anxiety and mental torture like I have never experienced before. Sleeping and eating have been nearly nonexistant. My last sexual intercourse with a guy was exactly 2 months ago (bareback, I was the top, very brief, inside him less than 10 seconds and did not ejaculate inside of him) and I literally started sobbing when the counselor brought back a negative test result. Keep in mind this is my first HIV test in about 6 years of being sexually active with other guys. The counselor said that I'm in about the 80 to 85% range likelihood of indeed being negative. She said that because even though it was brief, because it was bareback she wants me to come back in 4 months for a final test. It was a rapid test, the results came in only about 20 minutes, and when I asked her about the number of false positives occuring with this kind of test she said she had never once seen a false positive. What do you think about this?

Thanks again Dr. Bob, the amount of information I have learned about HIV and AIDS during the last 2 weeks of sleepless nights and misery is truly enormous, and I plan on volunteering time when possible to a local AIDS outfit. Here's to you and your partner and a long, healthy wonderful life together.

Hello Breathing Easier,

Thank you for your comments regarding my brother.

I agree with the advice your counselor provided. Your HIV rapid test was negative and therefore you don't have to worry about "false positive" results. False-positive tests can occur with all rapid tests, but this can be easily sorted out by confirmatory, more specific, tests that should be done automatically if a rapid test shows a positive result. As for the six-month follow-up test, that's up to you and what you feel your level of risk really was. Personally, I would consider a negative test at three months definitive for your 10-second exposure with a partner of unknown HIV status.

Sexual Abuse
REAL QUESTIONS??????