Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Promise to donate and Hopeful Answer from a Phenomenal MD
Jan 27, 2007

Dear Dr. Bob, On Jan 10th, I received unprotected,receptive anal sex (with no ejaculation) from a man. He penetrated me for nearly 3-4 minutes. To be honest, I know of very little pre-seminal fluids. We had mutual masturbated earlier that evening and I noticed he had little or no pre-cum. He stated that he was tested in Oct. 06 (negative). I was curious to know what is the likelihood of this one time experience being the unfortunate one of contracting HIV. I had never befor received unprotected sex, and NEVER will again. I was wanting to do a PCR test by DNA along with a standard HIV antibody test @ one month. I called a co. (that does testing with Lab Corp.) that stated that after 28 days the PCR DNA was 99.9% accurate. They stated that they do a western blot to rule out false positives on the PCR DNA. PLEASE, tell me what you think. You are a phenomenal person and I applaud your assisstance with helping others. Whatever I can donate I am willing to assist with as well. Begging for an answer. Thank You from my heart. S.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello S,

Your estimated per-act risk of acquiring HIV from unprotected receptive anal sex is exactly the same as everyone else's! The per-act risk is 50 per 10,000 exposures to an infected source. We do not know the status of your partner; therefore, this statistical estimate would be somewhat less.

Regarding testing, I do not recommend PCR DNA testing for routine HIV screening, for the following reasons:

1. It is not FDA-approved for this purpose.

2. It has a considerable rate of false-positives.

3. Certain technical considerations.

4. Its cost.

Western Blot tests are not recommended as confirmatory tests for PCR testing, because between 4% and 20% of Western Blots produce an indeterminate result showing at least some positive bands for HIV-1 proteins, which are due to nonspecific cross-reacting antibodies as well as other reasons. Therefore, even a PCR DNA and Western Blot can lead to very confusing and anxiety-provoking results. The company person you spoke to wants to sell you expensive laboratory tests that are clearly not appropriate for your situation. What you need is a three-month HIV antibody test. It's inexpensive, highly accurate and FDA-approved.

Thanks for your interest in making a tax-deductible donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation. In return, I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month HIV test is negative.

Good luck. Be safe. Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Masturbation mutuelle-vih
Next
Please Respond.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.