Worried & Concerned

Hello Dr Bob,

I made a huge mistake about 3 weeks ago. I let alcohol affect my normally good judgment. I will never allow this to happen again. And to all of those who read this (if this question is answered) please do not allow yourself to use drugs or alcohol if you think it might cause you to make poor sexual choices. With that said here is the story, I went out on a first date had a charming time and had one too many drinks. One thing lead to another and while having foreplay he inserted his penis in me (vaginally with no climax not sure if there was any pre-ejaculate present) for a brief moment maybe 30 seconds I stopped him and we used a condom. We had sex one more time that night but only with a condom. I am not sure of his status and his sexual history. He did not seem like the kind of guy that does that sort of thing regularly but I never know. I have not had any illness or symptoms, however I had a fever blister break out and heal last week. With that said I have had them before in the same location and the healing time was standard. I would like to get an RNA test soon followed by a 2 month and 3 month test to assure all is well. I hate to ask this but can you review my odds?

Best & donation on the way next paycheck.

The estimated per-act risk for acquisition of HIV from unprotected receptive penile-vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 10 per 10,000 exposures. Your estimated risk would be less, because we do not know the HIV status of your Prince Charming and your exposure was so brief. My advice would be to get a single HIV screening test at the three-month mark. HIV-antibody tests taken prior to three months are not considered to be definitive. I also would not recommend RNA testing for routine screening, due to the rate of false-positive tests, other technical considerations and cost.

Thanks for your donation (www.concertedeffort.org). In return, I'm sending my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month HIV test is negative.

self-infected with mosquito while masturbating?
Baiser