To all the "Worried Wells"

Dear Dr. Bob, I really hope you publish this letter so that people who are worried can see that it really doesn't worth it GET TESTED!!! I was involved with someone for nine whole months before I found out that he was hiv+. He swore to me that he wasn't when I found out, then later confessed that he is undetectable, on meds, blah, blah. Needless to say, I nearly had a stroke. My last exposure was on July 25, 2006. I was scared to death so I took three weeks to muster enough courage and get myself tested on August 15, 2006. My test came back negative. On October 1, 2006, I started having "symptoms" after endless stressing. I got the flu-like symptoms, I got serious muscle aches, diagnosed with herpes, rash on my arms, the feeling that something is stuck in my throat, pimples that leave a spot when they heal, everything you can think of went wrong - believe me. My period started coming funny, the whole nine yards. On October 5, 2006, I got tested again - negative. Still suffering, I waited until October 23 and then got tested again - negative. I did not fully believe the tests so this time I went on October 25, 2006 to the Health Department for a full std test. All the tests came back negative and they recommended that I do the hep shots; which I did - two already. Still, I could not get it out of my head and I got so depressed that I just didn't even want to leave my house. Everyone got annoyed of me (including my friend's hiv doc) because they could not imagine why I was so stressed out about it even though I was negative so far. I kept reading the internet, calling the CDC, calling the GLCC where I got tested, the Health Dept., just about everybody. The months come and go with me still having these muscle and joint pains, etc. I went to the neurologists, they said it "might" be fibromyalgia then I found out that hiv mimics fibromyalgia. I really started freaking out now. I would look at everyone and wonder if they have hiv. I was a wreck. Finally, today January 19, 2007, my doctor called me to tell me that my white blood cells were a little high (1 point over). I could not take it any longer so I did the only sensible thing - I drove straight to the GLCC and got myself tested again (6 days before the 6 months period ended). Well, I am NEGATIVE and I am NOT going to continue to fret about hiv any longer. The symptoms will go away, I now feel positive that they are really stress related so I am putting this behind me. To everyone out there who "think" they are positive, GET TESTED. Listen to Dr. Bob - SYMPTOMS DO NOT EQUAL HIV. One last note, do not browse the web for symptoms. They are on here, and really, you will find them - in abundance. Take care Dr. Bob, God bless you. All the best, I am not working right now, but as soon as I can, I will send a donation. Yours truly IJ

Hi IJ,

Thanks for taking the time to write in and share your story and new insights.

Be well.

HIV+ boyfriend wants unprotected anal sex
Kindly hear me out just once will make donation