Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

To all the "Worried Wells"
Jan 21, 2007

Dear Dr. Bob, I really hope you publish this letter so that people who are worried can see that it really doesn't worth it GET TESTED!!! I was involved with someone for nine whole months before I found out that he was hiv+. He swore to me that he wasn't when I found out, then later confessed that he is undetectable, on meds, blah, blah. Needless to say, I nearly had a stroke. My last exposure was on July 25, 2006. I was scared to death so I took three weeks to muster enough courage and get myself tested on August 15, 2006. My test came back negative. On October 1, 2006, I started having "symptoms" after endless stressing. I got the flu-like symptoms, I got serious muscle aches, diagnosed with herpes, rash on my arms, the feeling that something is stuck in my throat, pimples that leave a spot when they heal, everything you can think of went wrong - believe me. My period started coming funny, the whole nine yards. On October 5, 2006, I got tested again - negative. Still suffering, I waited until October 23 and then got tested again - negative. I did not fully believe the tests so this time I went on October 25, 2006 to the Health Department for a full std test. All the tests came back negative and they recommended that I do the hep shots; which I did - two already. Still, I could not get it out of my head and I got so depressed that I just didn't even want to leave my house. Everyone got annoyed of me (including my friend's hiv doc) because they could not imagine why I was so stressed out about it even though I was negative so far. I kept reading the internet, calling the CDC, calling the GLCC where I got tested, the Health Dept., just about everybody. The months come and go with me still having these muscle and joint pains, etc. I went to the neurologists, they said it "might" be fibromyalgia then I found out that hiv mimics fibromyalgia. I really started freaking out now. I would look at everyone and wonder if they have hiv. I was a wreck. Finally, today January 19, 2007, my doctor called me to tell me that my white blood cells were a little high (1 point over). I could not take it any longer so I did the only sensible thing - I drove straight to the GLCC and got myself tested again (6 days before the 6 months period ended). Well, I am NEGATIVE and I am NOT going to continue to fret about hiv any longer. The symptoms will go away, I now feel positive that they are really stress related so I am putting this behind me. To everyone out there who "think" they are positive, GET TESTED. Listen to Dr. Bob - SYMPTOMS DO NOT EQUAL HIV. One last note, do not browse the web for symptoms. They are on here, and really, you will find them - in abundance. Take care Dr. Bob, God bless you. All the best, I am not working right now, but as soon as I can, I will send a donation. Yours truly IJ

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi IJ,

Thanks for taking the time to write in and share your story and new insights.

Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV+ boyfriend wants unprotected anal sex
Next
Kindly hear me out just once will make donation

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.