PEP

Dr.Bob,

I live in Toronto, and had a broken condom incident with person of unknown status. I went to the walk in clinic to get PEP, then to the E.R. Both game me the same answer - That PEP is only given for Doctor's with exposure, not given to the public. Are we behind on the times? Or what's the deal? COnsodering we hosted the last world AIDS day you would figure that this wouldn't happen. Can you please shed some light on this for me? Thanks Emmi

Hello Emmi,

I don't know what the current guidelines are for nonoccupational post-exposure prophylaxis (nPEP) in Ontario, Canada. However, I can refer you to the updated guidelines from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. They can be accessed at the following Web site:

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5402a1.htm

I suggest you check with your local AIDS service organizations or an HIV/AIDS physician specialist to obtain the current Canadian policy.

Question (HIV FROM TWO HIV NEGATIVES)
recent photo? (DISCLOSURE, DISCLOSURE LAWS)