Please Help...A Young Marine Deathly Afraid of Having HIV :(

Hey Dr., I'm sure you're busy so I won't waste any time.

Over 3 months ago, I had 4 encounters with some escorts. All of it was protected and it was just "regular" sex.

I got worried and got HIV tested twice right around my 3 month window. Came back NEGATIVE.

About a month after my experience with those escorts, I got a girlfriend with whom I have unprotected sex with. I got tested after we started having unprotected sex, about two months out and it came back NEG as well.

Despite the Neg results, I do show what I think to be symptoms of HIV. My tonsils feel swollen and hurt, and my mouth is dry. ANd in the back of my tongue there are some red bumps, and it's kinda whiteish. Also, I've had some shortness of breath, like if I just start walking, or doing something, I'll notice that I sometimes have a hard time catching my breath.

I do have H. Pylori and am currently being treated for it, so I'm not sure if that's the cause of some of my symptoms.

I've just really scared :( Can I WOOOOHOOO or am I still as risk?

Please out me out. Thanks SO MUCH!

Hi Young Marine,

Your fears are unwarranted. The escort sexperiences were "protected." Assuming the latex condom was used properly and didn't fail, HIV-transmission risk would be essentially nonexistent. In addition, your two negative HIV tests at the three-month mark further corroborate your negative status. Therefore, your only HIV risk is unprotected sex with your girlfriend! I would advise using protection to avoid both unwanted pregnancy and STD/HIV risk.

Your symptoms are not worrisome for or suggestive of HIV ARS.

Bottom line: you can WOO-HOO if you're worried about the escort encounter, but as long as you are continuing to have unprotected sex with anyone, you are not STD-risk free.

Tuberculosis and HIV
How long