Viral load increase with Atr

Read Q & A today regarding Atripila. The person's viral load was undetectable and after moving from Truvada and Sustiva to Atripla, they show a viral load of 700. After I moved to Atripla, my viral load moved from undetectable to 250 copies. Is this being experienced others as well? If my next test is not udetectable, should I change back to Sustiva and Truvada?

No, the general experience is that if someone has an undetectable viral load on Truvada plus Sustiva, they can switch to Atripla for convenience without loss of viral control. Your rise to 250 copies following your switch could be a blip, which is a transient rise in viral load that subsides quickly to undetectable levels without any change in therapy. Blips are not uncommon and do not portend significant virologic breakthrough or drug resistance. You could also have a transient rise in viral load due to other potential causes, such as a recent vaccination or intercurrent illness.

If your next viral load returns to undetectable, there is no need to consider a change in therapy. If, on the other hand, your viral load goes up further, I would suggest getting a resistance test to ascertain if drug resistance has evolved and help determine your next HAART (highly active antiretroviral therapy) regimen.

Good luck. Dr. Bob

In more appreciation
starting to worry again