Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I should have listened to you
Jan 19, 2007

Dr Bob

I should have listened to you a year ago when you told me that my symptoms were not consistent with HIV. I should have listened to you when you said to me in these words "I am quite confident you will be just fine"

I hope this story helps a few forum surfers who are paranoid. I have wasted a year of my life thinking I had HIV. I lost my social life, my girlfriend, my happiness. I became useless at my job. I stressed myself sick. I morphed into Cheney.

Let me tell you folks I live in the highest risk continent(Africa) and I had the highest risk exposure(unprotected sex with an unknown female). Now let me tell you, things are a little different here, you are probably a thousand times more likely to be infected here then in the USA.

Four weeks after my exposure my tongue hurt like hell and got one of those raw patches on the middle(dorsum) like when you get a viral infection. Then it turned into the most horrible case of coated tongue I had ever seen. I tested negative after 8 weeks but the problem is that the coated tongue never went away and is still with me a year later. My tongue went from a beautiful soft pink to a scary hairy white coated monster.

During last year I got sick 5 times with the Flu and I never got sick before. Maybe once a year if that. No matter what I did my tongue remained horrible. It burnt and I still had a metallic taste in my mouth(uncommon for a male)

I couldnt take the stress anymore and yesterday I went for a test after wasting one whole year of my life worrying and stressing.

I couldnt believe it this morning when the nurse told me I tested Non Reactive to HIV 1 and 2 on an Elisa 4th Generation test.

I just wanted to say that everyone always thinks their symptoms are worse then other peoples.

I didnt sleep last night waiting for the results and I felt ill this morning in my stomach like never before.

All I can say is that there is absolutely no point in worrying about testing. The odds are greatly in your favour that you havent contracted the disease but if you have you will have to find out sooner or later anyway. Dont do what I did. Im happy today but sad for what I have lost in the last year.

Good luck to all of you and thanks Dr Bob, sorry I didnt listen to you. And yes yes yes go on and say I told you so.

Im off to find out whats wrong with my tongue. And as you normally say with great certainty it aint HIV.

Cheers The Chicken who eventually crossed the Road

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Chicken on the Other Side of the Road,

Wasting a year of one's life; losing one's social life, one's girlfriend and one's happiness; becoming useless at work; stressing oneself out to the point of sickness . . . these are all terribly unfortunate. However, "morphing into Cheney!!!???" Oh my god! You poor thing. That's absolutely tragic and truly horrifying. That alone should scare the bejesus out of each and every worried well reading this post.

Thanks for writing in and sharing your experience. No, I won't say I told you so. Rather, I prefer just to say WOO-HOO!

Be safe. Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
WOO HOO-ABLE?
Next
Quick Question !!!! Please, please...consider me !!!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.