Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

numbers?
Jan 19, 2007

Dear Dr.Bob, thank you so much for putting so much effort in reading all our questions, and answering some. I have indeed a question that might not have a straightforward answer, but if it had, well I'd die to know it. What is the probability of me NOT being infected after an unprotective insertive fellatio (with ejaculation and swallowing) to an HIV + guy not on drugs, provided my oral health ws impeccable, and that a 6 and 1/2 week test was negative? Are there any numbers for that? That was a stupid thing to do, I'll never run this risk again ever. Again, with all my heart, thank you for helping us (donation on the way)

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Sorry we don't have specific HIV risk estimates for every possible sexual situation. The best I can offer is that the estimated per-act risk for acquiring HIV from unprotected insertive oral sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 0.5 per 10,000 exposures. Your negative 6.5-week test is very encouraging, but not definitive, even though the majority of HIV-infected individuals would have detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies in their serum by this time.

Overall your odds of being HIV negative remain excellent, but you'll need that three-month test for a conclusive answer.

Thank you for your donation. In return, I'm sending you my best good-luck/good-health karma that your definitive three-month HIV test will remain negative.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
ANOTHER QUICKIE FOR THE ROAD
Next
Re:Can't move on because of symtoms

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.