Mag couple starting out....and his ID Doctor mentioned your name!

Hello Doctor,

My partner is positive and has been for a few years. His Viral Load is high, as is his CD4 which is quite high. He is not on meds. My question is as a top - if I always use condoms for anal sex will I be pretty safe for HIV? I have never had unprotected anal sex in my life - and dammit I pride myself in that! but I worry about oral sex (never had his ejaculate or any ones full ejaculate in my mouth ever), but precum - maybe and I worry about rimming him and possible blood - though I have never tasted any. I guess I am just a worrier and I have asked his doctor about this and he simply says condoms for anal and you will be fine. He also says Oral is minimal risk (like you) and with rimming - forget about HIV - other stds yes, hiv no. I just want your opinion. By the way, he even mentioned you and this website to us! How about that!

Thank you!

It seems to me your partner has a very well informed HIV specialist who is providing both sound and practical advice. And I'm not saying that simply because he knows me and/or my work on this Web site! I commend him because his advice is science based, logical and practical. HIV cannot permeate intact latex. No way. No how. So if you use a latex condom properly and it doesn't fail, your HIV risk would be essentially nonexistent. The only caveat I would add to his advice is that if an unanticipated significant HIV exposure occurs from a condom failure, for instance you should have ready access to PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis).

I suggest you peruse the archives of this forum, particularly the sections on magnetic couples, HIV transmission and HIV prevention. I'm sure you'll find the information there reassuring. You'll also find information about my 13 year "magnetic" relationship with Steve (Dr. Steve, the expert in The Body's Tratamientos forum).

Be well. Stay well.

kinda worried
Meth & Blood with Oral